cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital one auto refinance ?

tag
Dj4Money
Established Contributor

Re: Auto loan refinance after 12 months?

Capital One will not refi their own car loans.

There companies I haven't heard of that will refinance cars.

I too bought a car after Chapter 7 and it will be a year in June. I was told something similar here that If I refi soon the car will be classified as new and better rates typically for new car loans than used, even if it's a refi.

That is my experience when I had refinanced my previous Hyundai/Kia product. The value of the car is fairly close to the amount owed. Most refi will go up to 120% or more of the value.

Look on Credit Karma for pre-qualified deals, Experian and Nerd Wallet. You can also try Lending Club and similar sites like that.

Message 11 of 16
Dj4Money
Established Contributor

Re: Capital one auto refinance ?

There is no doubt, they simply won't as the originator of the loan. Lots of banks won't refinance their own loans and it makes common sense.

Lots of places will refinance your car, Lending Tree, Lending Club, Credit Karma, Experian all have partners they work with. Same with Nerd Wallet, they have several places they suggest. 

Bank Rate is another place to look.

Message 12 of 16
dunn2500
Established Contributor

i refinanced a new truck after 4 months or.......7500 miles was cutoff between new and used thru these credit unions, i was under so it was still considered new

Message 13 of 16
Dj4Money
Established Contributor

My Accent had nearly 30K on it when I re-financed , considered new by them (Logix). Shrug, shop around.

Message 14 of 16
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Hutchman92 I have merged your 2 post regarding refinance as they're kind of one in the same.  

Message 15 of 16
Dj4Money
Established Contributor

For a data point -

I've gotten a couple of mailed offers from AutoPay. They are a partner with Credit Karma if you have an account there.

Anyway I used the URL on the mailer and applied. I was only approved by one credit union, I believe it was Infinity.

The rates were not what I was looking for. 

Restart at 72 months, rate would be 8.49%  and my first payment wouldn't take place until second week of August 2021.

It's an almost 5% rate improvement but I decided not to take it because I was either looking to restarting the term with a much lower payment or shorten the term down to five years which is where it's at now since my June payment is due later this month and brings my account to 60 months even.

The person I was working with said the primary reason for not getting a better offer was I had two new accounts (credit cards) less than six months old and my BK wasn't 24 months old yet.

Also using the car for gig economy work limits my refinance options. I'll try again after my BK is 24 months old which the end of summer. 

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.