Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best credit union or bank for car loan?

tag
ando35
Frequent Contributor

Best credit union or bank for car loan?

What are some of the lowest rate cu's or banks for auto loan? I know space coast here in Florida is great. I see DCU and USAA are mentioned. 

Any others? 

And, do you recoemnd I use money tree or just go to each website?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best credit union or bank for car loan?

Each credit union has different eligibility criteria, either based on where you live/work or based on some association (like your employer or any groups you belong to). Some credit unions, like DCU and PenFed, allow you to join by donating a small amount to a foundation. That's one of the reasons they're more popular on online forums. Since you're in FL, check out the rates for Suncoast, VyStar, and MIDFlorida too. 

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

And do you mean LendingTree rather than Money Tree? The problem with LendingTree is that you'll start getting calls from every lender you've never heard of for the next six months. It takes a little more time upfront, but personally I'd prefer to apply with a few credit unions than go the LT route. 

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would start by knowing all of your scores and the specific score each credit union you are interested in pulls.

DCU pulls Equifax Mortgage score.

My local NY/NJ credit union uses Experian Mortgage Score.

If I were going for a car loan and if one score was significantly higher and try the bank or credit union that uses that score first.

The difference between my Lowest FICO Mortgage score and highest FICO mortgage score is 56 points and that can make a very big difference in your rate.

Message 4 of 16
ando35
Frequent Contributor

DCU lists their lowest apr at 3.15%. 

Message 5 of 16
ando35
Frequent Contributor

DCU lists their lowest apr at 3.15%. I thought that you could get loans as low as 1% with an 800 score. Am I wrong?

Message 6 of 16
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

My local NY/NJ credit union uses Experian Mortgage Score.

What CU is that ?

Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 7 of 16
Gotham-
Frequent Contributor

Hey All
I am intrigued now
So in the spirit of finding out the best CU
DCU seems to keep coming up do we know if they pull FICO 9, 8, “5,4,2”???
L
2018 Dec Starting Score: 700
Current Score: 778
Achieved Goal Score 2020: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 16
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

@Gotham- wrote:
Hey All
I am intrigued now
So in the spirit of finding out the best CU
DCU seems to keep coming up do we know if they pull FICO 9, 8, “5,4,2”???
L

DCu uses EQ 5.

Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Visions FCU is my local credit union NY/NJ.

I received what I believe to be fantastic rates from them.

About 3 months ago I refinanced my used car loan to 3.75% for 72 months.

I also got their 0% for 6 month then 9.75% Visa and a 4.5% debt consolidation loan all with my Experian Mortgage Score around 690 at the time.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.