cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best credit union or bank for car loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best credit union or bank for car loan?

If you appply at DCU consider maximize that hard inquiry as 1 inquiry is good for I forget 30 or 60 days.

You could get their Visa or a debt consolidation loan too.

Message 11 of 16
calyx
Super Contributor

It'll just depend on the CU and the rate structure they have, what kind of car you want (used/new) and your terms (months)

Most of them have a "as low as" feature, but that's usually a new car at ~36months (SDFCU has that at 2.24%).

The lowest I managed for my terms (60m, new) was with my local CU at 3.19.  Even NFCU and SDFCU couldn't be that for 60m. The dealership (through Chase) was offering 3.49 as their lowest for the vehicle I wanted.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 12 of 16
ando35
Frequent Contributor

Yeah I got 3.5% from Bank of Amercia because I am platinum customer I think.

I also got 3.4% from a local CU. 

On lending Tree I got a bunch of 4% and 5%'s.

Message 13 of 16
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

No experience with USAA but I have used applied and were approved at DCU, PenFed (Navy if you're a memnber) and of the 3 I think PenFed was the easiest, fastest, and offer a slightly better rate.  

Message 14 of 16
Gotham-
Frequent Contributor

NJ: Visions CU is close by me maybe I might need to stop in...I wonder how long of a member u have to be for that pricing @Visions
2018 Dec Starting Score: 700
Current Score: 778
Achieved Goal Score 2020: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied over the phone and they were great.

I frist just applied for a Visa but when they called me they suggested additional products like refinancing my car loan and a debt consolidation loan.

I was not a great customer.  I had some paid overdrafts last year and only put a small amount in via direct deposit each month.

They approved me for all at their A tier with fantastic rates.

I prefer DCU for checking because I get paid much quicker.  If Payday is Monday Visions pays me Monday.  Capital One would have been Saturday.  DCU is Friday at 4:00 PM.  That's a big difference.  If not for that I might use Visions as my day to day bank.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.