cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to help DS’s credit when buying him a car?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best way to help DS’s credit when buying him a car?

@SPChaser wrote:

Lol I can truly sympathize with that - he's always wanting to eat out with friends not budgeting his cash at all. He finally got his first job, so with that happening we'll be moving forward more with having apply for at least Discover It. 

Look into the student version - it's more accepting of lower income as it's geared to students who aren't yet in the career stage of their lives.

Message 11 of 14
SPChaser
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SPChaser wrote:

Lol I can truly sympathize with that - he's always wanting to eat out with friends not budgeting his cash at all. He finally got his first job, so with that happening we'll be moving forward more with having apply for at least Discover It. 

Look into the student version - it's more accepting of lower income as it's geared to students who aren't yet in the career stage of their lives.

Yup Smiley Happy That's the card our daughter has. 

“Play the game, but don't believe in it“
Message 12 of 14
dunn2500
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SPChaser , you might also add him as an AU on one or two of your cards with low utilization and perfect history. That should give him a jumpstart to generating a score, which the loan will help to cement. You could add him and keep the card yourself - he would still benefit from your payment history. I'd lean toward giving him the card though, and if possible in the app, you could set a spend limit on it. My teenagers are AUs on a few of my cards. It should help start them in the credit portion of their lives, and I like knowing that they have funds at their disposal when needed. With your son, he may end up needing a tow or emergency gas at some point - if he's low on cash he's out of luck if you aren't nearby. Toward that end, I hid $50 in my daughter's car unbeknownst to her. If she ever is out and needs money and has forgotten her purse, she will call me and I will then tell her where to look.

lol, pretty neat trick hiding cash in their car......

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sooner or later the need will be there, I will be unable to break away, and it can be both the saving grace and a teaching moment...

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.