Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought my First Car Today!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bought my First Car Today!!

Thank you everyone so much for the advice it really really helps!!

My dad called his dealership and they can sell him just the extended warranty (they can even finance it for 0% for 18 months with at least $500 down) the dealer did say the prices for the extended warranty will be higher now then if he added it when he bought the vehicle and he knows they mark up the prices regardless so the dealership can make money which was why he was asking about any legit companies to do business with outside the dealership so it's great to know that extended warranties in general are most likely a bad idea.
My dad also doesn't want to trade in his car. It's only 3 years old (2 more years of financing)

I'm reading the paperwork for my extended warranty now. (I can cancel at anytime!! So that's a great thing! If I cancel within 30 days the dealer pays it back 100% but if I cancel after 30 days then it's prorated...what I get back) so I'm definitely taking the time now to read each and every word and will look up everything I can even about the company. The extended warranty I bought was 60 months/ 60,000 miles. We bought a VW so I know they can be a little expensive to fix sometimes so that is what worries me. I financed about 3.5K for the warranty for 6 years/60,000 so it cost me a lot of money so I'm reading over everything now. Thank you all so much!! I'm going to tell my dad to not to do it right now and look into mine to see if it's worth it and if not cancel it

........and this is why I love this forum!!!
Message 11 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try AAA for extended warranty. They are a very reputable company. They will finance you interest free for 18 mo, I think 10-20% down. 30 day waiting period (I think) to use it though.

I disagree that they are a waste of money if you find a reputable company. I had a transmission drop on me while driving in a well -maintianed Toyota Corolla past the manufact warranty. The extended warranty that is a waste of money came in handy on a car that Consumer Reports says has exceptional reiliabilty. Research is one thing, real life is another!!

I was driving an old gfs Acura in 1997; she didn't listen to me and never replaced the timing belt at 60K. Well while I was driving her car the timing belt went and took some of the engine as well. GEICO fixed everything for her even though it was her fault!!

Message 12 of 29
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

Great news! Your first new car is always special.

Mine was a 1971 Dodge Charger. I believe I paid about $7,000 for it.

So what did you buy?

I was/am a Chevy guy, but I always loved that car (71 Charger) - saw one just off the showroom floor run a 12 sec 1/4 mile and then I wanted oneeven more ! 

Note: My 71 Nova 350 cost $2445 factory ordered - still love the 71 Charger and Challenger TA.

Message 13 of 29
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congratulations on the car! Tell your family member to stay far away from extended auto warranties, I would bet that 99% if not all of them are useless and you just waste money paying for them.

100% Agree ! 

However, if you must, look at your auto insurance company as many offer less costly policies. 

Message 14 of 29
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Congrats CreditQueen - but you didn't tell us what you got Smiley Sad

Message 15 of 29
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@pipeguy wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

Great news! Your first new car is always special.

Mine was a 1971 Dodge Charger. I believe I paid about $7,000 for it.

So what did you buy?

I was/am a Chevy guy, but I always loved that car (71 Charger) - saw one just off the showroom floor run a 12 sec 1/4 mile and then I wanted oneeven more ! 

Note: My 71 Nova 350 cost $2445 factory ordered - still love the 71 Charger and Challenger TA.

After reading that I did some research and realized just how bad my memory was concerning what I paid. Goodness how far off I was.

Base prices for 1971 models ranged from about $2,700 to $3,700 or so.

I blame my error on inflation!  Smiley Tongue  and apologize to everyone.

Message 16 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your first car!!!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 17 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hooray!!! Lol you and I keep doing the same things! Congrats, friend! What did you get!?

Message 18 of 29
stagefoursurvivor
Established Contributor

You grunts are all wacky, guess they learn ya that in boot camp!

'71 Charger $7 LARGE? You need to check your records & get squared away! I had a '72 Olds Hurst Cutless ragtop $4K new, traded for a '72 Volvo 142E $3800 when gas JUMPED to $0.26/gal

HM2 USN TDY 3rdMarDiv

11/14/14 Total CL $1,100; 6/30/15 Total CL $180K
Message 19 of 29
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@stagefoursurvivor wrote:

You grunts are all wacky, guess they learn ya that in boot camp!

'71 Charger $7 LARGE? You need to check your records & get squared away! I had a '72 Olds Hurst Cutless ragtop $4K new, traded for a '72 Volvo 142E $3800 when gas JUMPED to $0.26/gal

HM2 USN TDY 3rdMarDiv

If you'll read post #16 of this thread you'll see my sincere apology for my errant memory.  Smiley Embarassed

And I can't argue with you for saying all grunts are a bit wacko. 

But it was having to put up with swabbies that made us that way!!!  Smiley Wink

Semper Fi Doc!!!!

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.