cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a work truck, what's a good APR I should expect?

tag
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Buying a work truck, what's a good APR I should expect?

The auto dealer said they use Equifax score 5.  I have a 788.  He said he uses/sets up the loans through my CU. No $ down.

He said I should get the best APR. 

I've never bought without a trade-in.  So what is the best APR for car loans?  We are looking at a couple of different box trucks and a work van.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: Buying a work truck, what's a good APR I should expect?

I will edit my post a little.

My other question is would it be better for me to go to my CU once we know which vehicle and price or is it the same outcome if I let the dealership go to my CU for the financing?  I just don't know what the smartest thing is to do

Thanks if anyone will guide me.

Message 2 of 10
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

My other question is would it be better for me to go to my CU once we know which vehicle and price or is it the same outcome if I let the dealership go to my CU for the financing?  I just don't know what the smartest thing is to do

I would recommend going directly to the CU, because most lenders give the dealer a commission so you should get a tad better directly from the CU. As for a good APR, two very good car loan CUs are DCU and Penfed and they are currently 4.49% for up to 65 months (DCU) and 3.74% for up to 60 months (Penfed), so let that be your guide, but a local CU will be a bit higher.

Message 3 of 10
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@GApeachy wrote:

I would recommend going directly to the CU, because most lenders give the dealer a commission so you should get a tad better directly from the CU. As for a good APR, two very good car loan CUs are DCU and Penfed and they are currently 4.49% for up to 65 months (DCU) and 3.74% for up to 60 months (Penfed), so let that be your guide, but a local CU will be a bit higher.

Thank you very much for that.

Message 4 of 10
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

The auto dealer said they use Equifax score 5.  I have a 788.  He said he uses/sets up the loans through my CU. No $ down.

I've never bought without a trade-in.  So what is the best APR for car loans?  We are looking at a couple of different box trucks and a work van.

I would check with a few local CU's direct.

Every lender uses different score models and you might find a deal

Get pre-approved for what you need, known interest rate and term length.

In my area CU's almost always beat what the car dealers will get you.

From one of my CU's two minutes ago.

fc.jpg

Message 5 of 10
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Kforce wrote:

@GApeachy wrote:

I would check with a few local CU's direct.

Every lender uses different score models and you might find a deal

Get pre-approved for what you need, known interest rate and term length.

In my area CU's almost always beat what the car dealers will get you.

From one of my CU's two minutes ago.

fc.jpg

I didn't realize int rates varied like that so thank you very much.

Message 6 of 10
GApeachy
Super Contributor

I have another question regarding timing.  I started my rebuild in Oct 2018 so all my cards are under 6 months old.  (3 of those are 30 days old)  How long should I wait to apply?

Message 7 of 10
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

I have another question regarding timing.  I started my rebuild in Oct 2018 so all my cards are under 6 months old.  (3 of those are 30 days old)  How long should I wait to apply?

I think you should be OK now. Credit card companies would be leery of issuing a new CC with that many new cards, but for a secured loan like a car loan you should be OK as long as those CCs doen't have high balances (over 30%).

@KforceThat's some really good rates especially for used vehicles. I prefer to buy late model used cars and let someone richer than me take that big depreciation driving a new car off the lot.

Message 8 of 10
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@GApeachy wrote:

I think you should be OK now. Credit card companies would be leery of issuing a new CC with that many new cards, but for a secured loan like a car loan you should be OK as long as those CCs doen't have high balances (over 30%).

@KforceThat's some really good rates especially for used vehicles. I prefer to buy late model used cars and let someone richer than me take that big depreciation driving a new car off the lot.

Great to hear, thanks!

Message 9 of 10
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

That's some really good rates especially for used vehicles.

I prefer to buy late model used cars and let someone richer than me take that big depreciation driving a new car off the lot.

A CU connected to employment, 40 years ago.  

Worthless except vehicle loans.  

Have taken 3-4 over the years.  

Usually the lowest of my issuers.

This year I have another CU that has me pre-approved.  

{ New Vehicle / 2.99% / 130% (Car, Tax's & License Fees) / 60-months }.

Will not be lured.

Need to stand strong.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.