Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CARMAX- What's your experience?

tag
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Re: CARMAX- What's your experience?

Dragen- no, you cannot negotiate. But, they are pretty fair to start with
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 11 of 19
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Babbles- the only issue I have with Carvana is that they are owned by drivetime, and they aren't exactly known for quality vehicles Smiley Sad
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 12 of 19
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Appleman wrote:

If you plan to trade in a car (at any dealer) I highly recommend that you get a FREE buy bid from CarMax. They are one of the biggest used car buyers in the nation. Their offer is good for 7 days and it will give you a good idea what your trade is really worth.

As most know you need to weigh the choice of selling a car yourself or trading it in. It always seems easier just trading it in and remember most (all?) states only make you pay sales tax on the car purchase minus the trade in value. In my state, trading in a car worth $10,000 will save me about $1,000 in taxes compared to selling it myself.

Google Doug DeMuro, Range Rover, CarMax warranty to see his story of how much he benefitted from the CarMax warranty.

^^^So I googeld the above and I am truly impressed by the CarMax warranty.  I have never heard of a warranty actually paying out for so long and for so many repairs. I will have to modify my advice in the future with the CarMax exception because those warranties apparently are worth the money!  Thanks for posting that info Appleman....

Message 13 of 19
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@fltireguy wrote:
Dragen- no, you cannot negotiate. But, they are pretty fair to start with

I just looked at their prices, and they are not really competitive with most big dealers here in Indianapolis. I don't think I would bother going there myself.

Message 14 of 19
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@Appleman wrote:

If you plan to trade in a car (at any dealer) I highly recommend that you get a FREE buy bid from CarMax. They are one of the biggest used car buyers in the nation. Their offer is good for 7 days and it will give you a good idea what your trade is really worth.

As most know you need to weigh the choice of selling a car yourself or trading it in. It always seems easier just trading it in and remember most (all?) states only make you pay sales tax on the car purchase minus the trade in value. In my state, trading in a car worth $10,000 will save me about $1,000 in taxes compared to selling it myself.

Google Doug DeMuro, Range Rover, CarMax warranty to see his story of how much he benefitted from the CarMax warranty.

^^^So I googeld the above and I am truly impressed by the CarMax warranty.  I have never heard of a warranty actually paying out for so long and for so many repairs. I will have to modify my advice in the future with the CarMax exception because those warranties apparently are worth the money!  Thanks for posting that info Appleman....

I agree...thanks for sharing.  I know service agreements are often frowned upon here but I buy them regularly because I usually keep my vehicles well past the factory warranty.  I've never had to use one to the extend of the guy in this video but it has definitely worked out well for him.  Note to self, avoid Range Rovers at all cost.  Smiley LOL

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Loquat wrote:

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@Appleman wrote:

I agree...thanks for sharing.  I know service agreements are often frowned upon here but I buy them regularly because I usually keep my vehicles well past the factory warranty.  I've never had to use one to the extend of the guy in this video but it has definitely worked out well for him.  Note to self, avoid Range Rovers at all cost.  Smiley LOL

Having been in the business for a long time in the past I’ve seen the cost of repairs at dealerships and other service places and extended warranties definitely have a place as long as you get them for a reasonable price.  

Message 16 of 19
Appleman
Valued Contributor

I looked on Carmax this morning and their are not any Range Rovers listed, did they learn theri lesson?. Others have also had good experiences getting a service contract on some high end Mercedes, BMWs and Porsches at CarMax. 

Message 17 of 19
tnvols
New Contributor

FYI, because CarMax is a publicly held company they disclose annual profit margins.  Although alot of people enjoy the no haggle policy, you pay a premium for it because they turn the highest profit margin in the industry amongst the largest other dealers that do negotiate. 

Oct 2017 Scores MyFICO FICO 8

Equifax 633
TU 582 (Suck it TU)
Experian 615

July 2018 Scores MYFICO 8
Equifax 700
TU 674
Experian 689

November 2019 Scores(24 mos post CH13 discharge) MYFICO 8
Equifax 783
TU 799
Experian 794
Message 18 of 19
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Enterprise Car Sales is another place that has a no haggle policy and I've heard that they're pretty easy to deal with and don't hassle you in the same manner as traditional dealers.  My concern with their vehicles is that I know how some friends and family treat rental vehicles...

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.