Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call from lender after purchasing vehicle

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Call from lender after purchasing vehicle

Hello All,

I recently purchased a car on saturday 03/17/2017, went through dealership financing , Ally Financial, and drove off the same day with temp tags and new plate on the car. Today 03/21/2017 I recived missed call from a dealer servicing specialst with Ally's Contract Processing Center and have not been able to reach the caller. Anyone have experience with Ally on auto loans? Anyone have any clue why someone from the contract processing center would call after the deal is done? A little worried (possibly over worried) about financing falling through after all the paperwork completed. 

4 REPLIES 4
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Re: Call from lender after purchasing vehicle

They are probably just verifying stuff.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had an auto loan with Ally a few years ago and they called a few days after my purchase to welcome me to Ally and to simply verify the basics ( name, address, phone numbers, email, vehicle make/ model, etc.). There was no additional verifications done. It was a pretty quick conversation, if I recall. So....I doubt you have anything to worry about.

Message 3 of 5
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Probably nothing to worry about.  When I was doing financing in the dealership I know that a lot of the subprime lenders would call the customer to welcome them and to also ask about details about the vehicle.  It's not verify anything that you've provided...it's more likely to make sure that the dealership was factual when booking the deal and detailing the equipment on a car.  

The ACV (actual cash value) of a vehicle can be inflated quite nicely by a finance manager saying that a vehicle has more equipment than it does.  Why would a dealer do this you ask?  Because it allows them to borrow more money on your behalf...which in turn allows them to payment pack.  I've witnessed shady finance managers tell a lender that a car has the bells, the whistles, the things, and the stuff just to get a better loan value.  

That Pontiac Grand Am that was previously a basic no-feature rental fleet vehicle is worth more when you say that it has dual power seats, heated steering wheel, navi, power moon roof, premium/chrome allows, OnStar, remote start, keyless entry, and an alarm system.  Each one of these options increases a vehicles value a little bit at a time...which again, allows them to borrow more money even though the car could potentially not have any of said items.  A VIN only tells so much...usually the make, model, year, and trim.  Other than that, lenders bank on the dealers to be honest.

Back when I was spinning paper in the box the lenders that come to mind that use to do these verification calls were GMAC/Ally Financial, Acadia, TransSouth, AutoOne, Chase Custom, Drive Financial, and Credit Acceptance Corporation to name a few.  

Again, it's probably just a welcome/verification call...no need to worry.  Congrats and enjoy your new ride!

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

As other's have posted, this is pretty typical for lender's to do, especially with subprime lender's. Ally is a full spectrum lender dealing in both prime and non-prime, and with non-prime contract they typically do a customer interview/welcome-call before funding the contract to verify information. Many times, they will verify your identity, verify that you purchased said vehicle, and many times will ask question's regarding your down payment (ie: how did you make your down payment, did you pay the full down payment at time of purchase) the reason why they ask is they don't accept deferred down payments, and many times they don't allow down payments to be made via credit card on a customer who is considered non-prime.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.