cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get a car loan of $35,170 after bankruptcy?

tag
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Can I get a car loan of $35,170 after bankruptcy?

You can argue it all you want, you can try to distinguish between types of debt.  In my mind debt is debt.  

I can tell you from experience that when you have to move (I cannot imagine my wife being comfortable living with my brother for more than a wekend trip lol) or have kids your entire financial outlook will be different.  I know this from experience.  Heed the advice and really think this through.  

The truth is that you don't want to hear the advice, you are going to do what you want and you already have it justified in your head.

Message 41 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smh. I dont want to get into details of how my life operates right now. But ill just say this. I have already statef that i save up to 2,000 dollars a month with the new car loan incuded and still Im getting this "dont do it" stuff from you. So basically what you are telling me is not exploit the good things i want in life but instead settle for what is just cheap even if you have plenty if money to get the big things you want in life.

Sorry budy, thats just not the way i see it. I believe if u work hard enough and meke enough then go ahead and get whatever it is you want in life.

I guess having 2,000 left in the bank is not enough for you to say you can enjoy a lil bit of whatever it is you might want. But for me, I know i can afford it. I know what I am doing this time around. And i am being making sure i will even still have enough in case of a job loss or whatever.

At the end you only live once. Not to say to go out and just go all out knowing you cant afford something. But if you know you can and you still have that extra left in your pocket then go ahead and do it.

What good is it saving every little cent you have when tomorrow could be your last day.

Message 42 of 62
sccredit
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Smh. I dont want to get into details of how my life operates right now. But ill just say this. I have already statef that i save up to 2,000 dollars a month with the new car loan incuded and still Im getting this "dont do it" stuff from you. So basically what you are telling me is not exploit the good things i want in life but instead settle for what is just cheap even if you have plenty if money to get the big things you want in life.

Sorry budy, thats just not the way i see it. I believe if u work hard enough and meke enough then go ahead and get whatever it is you want in life.

I guess having 2,000 left in the bank is not enough for you to say you can enjoy a lil bit of whatever it is you might want. But for me, I know i can afford it. I know what I am doing this time around. And i am being making sure i will even still have enough in case of a job loss or whatever.

At the end you only live once. Not to say to go out and just go all out knowing you cant afford something. But if you know you can and you still have that extra left in your pocket then go ahead and do it.

What good is it saving every little cent you have when tomorrow could be your last day.

Your recent bankruptcy shows that you cannot live tomorrow like it is your last day and still be responsible.  Again, you are being extremely shortsighted.  And also again, you don't want the criticism because you want to do what you want to do.  Go for it.  My post was simply warning that circumstances in life change often, especially when you are married.  

Message 43 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 44 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're right. Having a total of more than 85k in total household income and free of debts thanks to bankruptcy just means that i cannot live tomorrow like its my last day. Smh.

Again, you just dont understand. You take everything i have said in this post and just completely ignore it by just thinking that since i filed BK it would be a bad idea to get a car loan for 35K when there are people out there that right out of BK buy 200K+ houses and are doing just fine.

Thanks for the advise. Really do appreciate it and im not saying it in any disrespectful way. But you just dont understand. To you it seems that even if i were an individual making 300k a year would still be a bad idea to get a 35K loan.
Message 45 of 62
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to get some info on this question. I just got out of bankruptcy about 4 months ago(Discharged 4 months ago) and I wanted to know if I could get a $35,170 loan for a new car. I will be making a down payment for $7,000 on the car which will drop it down to $35,170 with tax, title, fees, etc. included. So the final price is $35,170. My current credit score is 523. I have been reading up a lot online and many say that yes I would be able to get the loan but the interest rates will be high. I want to be paying $590 per month for this car and based on $35,170@6.0% of interest is $583 a month for 72 months. I live with my brother and we split the rent of the house and he pays for all the utility bills except for electricity. Everything is under his name. So I basically pay $600 for rent and 200 for electricity. That is all the bills I have plus my phone which is $100 a month. I currently make close to $40,000 a year(Gross).

-----(portions of your post deleted)

All I care about is paying no more than $590 per month. I plan to keep this car in the family for years, well after it has been paid off. So with that being said, can I even extend my loan from 72 to 84 months just so that I can fall in that range of $550-$590 per month?

I would appreciate any advise you can give.

Thank you in advance.

Most of us were responding to your intial post where you said you make almost $40k gross per year.

Later in the thread you indicate that you are married and you and your wife make a combined income of $85k per year which is a different circumstance altogether.

It is a good thing to put down a large down payment.

It is also not a bad thing to buy a decent car - but timing is critical.

You are shaking your head, but those of us that are responding to your posts are also 'smh' over jumping right back into debt immediately after your Bk discharge.

But then in your last post you compare buying a $200k home with buying a $35k car and those two items just don't compare at all. First, you can't jump into a mortgage a couple of months after discharge on a Ch 7. Secondly a home has the ability to increase its value - a car does not. You can naturally do as you want - but don't compare an asset (property) to a liability (car).  Just understand what you are doing.  It really doesn't matter to us. We are just pointing out potential pitfalls based on your original post and some subsequent info you have provided. Ulitimately the decision and the consequences are yours. Good luck.

Message 46 of 62
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Yes your original post stated 40k, now it went to 85k since you are married, that is a different situation completly then originally stated.  I agree with the above poster you can't compare a house to a car, two completly different things.  Anyways, yes assuming your wife doesn't have a 35k car loan as well, enjoy your car.

Message 47 of 62
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Given that all 16 of OP's posts are in this single thread I am going to bow out.  Not here to seek advice and I'll leave it at that

Message 48 of 62
ohvrolla
Established Member

85k combined income and bailing out on 40k of credit card debt in order to buy a new Mustang seems even more underhanded now that you put it that way.

Message 49 of 62
jim44
Established Contributor

@sccredit wrote:

Given that all 16 of OP's posts are in this single thread I am going to bow out.  Not here to seek advice and I'll leave it at that

@sccredit, I think it's great when others in this forum with experience give advice whether the OP actually takes the advice or not..... and that advice is given without judgement. Don't bow out as I'm sure there are many here that value this advice.  I'm 4 years post BK  and wish I knew of this forum before then... where I could have asked questions and been given answers as well as advice before diving head first into financial sucide. Many other like me and the OP have it all worked out how they can afford these big purchases but don't have a "plan b" when they hit financial bumps in road.  Just the fact the OP justifies his decision after advice from others, shows that whatever his decision, he will hopefully think of the future. Post BK, I couldn't make a decision to spend money on anything without a feelings of regret.  And as others have stated in this thread, even with manadory credit counciling with BK, it is extremely easy to fall into the credit trap again.

IMHO your advice and the advice of others on this forum is valued. Others may not heed this advice but it might give them pause before they make financial commitments.

Message 50 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.