Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 can't pre-qual me now?

tag
Rebuilding69
Established Contributor

Cap1 can't pre-qual me now?

Twoweeks ago I did the Cap1 auto prequal to see what they were offering, and it came back with the 7-10 day letter message.

I got the letter last week, and on the first page it states that after reviewing my request as well as information obtained from my credit file(s), they were unable to pre-qual me for auto financing. The official reason on that page was "Credit bureau information is missing or unavailable". On the 2nd page, they give my EX score as a 690(range of 250-900, source as Experian, dated pull or whatever as 9-7-16; guessing thats the auto enhaned score? My FICO 8 is a 717, and never had an auto loan).

I do have credit freezes on TU & EQ, but EX definitely does not have a freeze on it, so I'm wondering what that "missing or unavailable" means? On the 2nd page it lists generic reasons as well for adversely affecting credit scores, but I'm guessing the real reason was this unavailability of my information somehow?

I haven't been able to call them this week due to my work schedule, but any ideas why they cant seem to pull my info from EX which isnt frozen, yet they can come up with an auto score?

I did check the auto pre-qual with them earlier this year with EX, and there were no issues getting that info & they even pre-qual'd me at that time, so I'm not sure whats going on. I have no issues with CCT or anyone else being able to get my EX info for reports/scoring.

Hopefully I can get some daytime to call them next week.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap1 can't pre-qual me now?

Capital 1 pulls from all 3 credit bureas, your freezes on the 2 other bureaus is the problem. You need to have all 3 unfrozen.

Message 2 of 6
Rebuilding69
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Capital 1 pulls from all 3 credit bureas, your freezes on the 2 other bureaus is the problem. You need to have all 3 unfrozen.

They pre-qual'd me with only Experian unfrozen a few months ago. The other 2 bureaus have been frozen for awhile now.

Message 3 of 6
Pway
Valued Contributor

Capital One is known for pulling all three.  They may have prequal you using one bureau, but when you did the application for credit they wanted to pull all three.  Since they could not access the other two, they denied the loan all together.  

Rule of Thumb:  It is not advisable to apply for credit when your reports are on lock.  A lender at any time can pull what they choose and if that bureau is on lock they can and will deny the loan all together.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 4 of 6
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

Truly with scores that high you will get a better rate w ford or Toyota etc
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used Cap1 mainly to give me my worst case scenario so I'd have an idea of what kind of APR I can expect.  In the past, I was an idiot and actually trusted those people so whatever they told me, I believed.  Cap1 pre-approved me for $40K and, based on how much of that I needed, my APR was 3.??% to, max, 4.03%.  The dealer was able to get me 2% APR.  My credit score wasn't as high as yours (I think 663).  I will admit they originally came bopping in the room to tell me they had to pull a few strings and call in a few favors to get me an APR of 4.99%.  It was then I showed them the Cap1 pre-approval letter and Cap1's worst case of 4.03%.  They decided to check their numbers again and came back with 2%.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.