cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Auto Finance Approved at...3.9%?

tag
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

Capital One Auto Finance Approved at...3.9%?

I was shopping used trucks and came across a 2017 Ram 1500 with 55,000 miles that was priced nicely at $20,999.

Because I already have a credit card with them (and they have begged me to pre-qual), I went through their auto pre-qualification tool...and sure enough, the dealership was on their list. They gave me a 4.9% pre-qualification, which I printed out and took to the dealership.

I get there with $1,000 in cash to put down. But according to their finance manager, because my pre-qual wasn't run with a down payment, COAF offered me 3.9% due to the $1,000 cash I was paying up front.

Needless to say, I'm pleasantly surprised by both the low interest rate AND low payment!

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
4sallypat
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One Auto Finance Approved at...3.9%?

That is excellent news and a super good rate for a used truck!

It's nice to know that Cap 1 Auto finance does not allow the dealer to mark up the rates.

Did you happen to get the new body styled, upgraded interior RAM ?

I have been eyeing the Rebel 3.6L RAM 1500 w/ Ramboxes.

Message 2 of 4
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@4sallypat wrote:

That is excellent news and a super good rate for a used truck!

It's nice to know that Cap 1 Auto finance does not allow the dealer to mark up the rates.

Did you happen to get the new body styled, upgraded interior RAM ?

I have been eyeing the Rebel 3.6L RAM 1500 w/ Ramboxes.

Honestly, this is a pretty garden variety Ram 1500...no real bells and whistles, though I didn't really want them anyway. It's super clean and well-maintained.

Funny thing about having that pre-approval in hand and a mind full of credit knowledge: Auto dealers just know to cut the tricks and proceed with an honest sale.

They were having a promo giving $3,000 more than normal trade-in value. I had receved a wonderful quote for my trade that exceeded what I owed. I more or less told the finance manager my terms...and that I expected those terms to be met or I'd walk.

Deal was done, signed and off the lot in about an hour.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@4sallypat I have a new body style Ram with the new interior, it is very comfortable and luxurious especially for a truck. I would strongly encourage you to get the 5.7 if you decide to go with a Ram. The 3.6 feels underpowered and from various owners that I have talked to it does not get any better fuel economy than the 5.7, I would also add that the larger tires, extra vehicle height, and weight of the Rebel will emphasize the lack of power in the 3.6

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.