Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One "Memory"

tag
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

Capital One "Memory"

I was denied twice via the prequal auto navigator while seeing my scores improve and getting other credit.

I was approved with a couple of lenders and bought my car last week.

My last auto loan was with Capital One. Repossessed in 2009 and subsequently charged off.

Could this be why Cap One wouldn't finance me for an auto loan??

I know approvals are based on the whole file but I've seen people get approved through Cap One with worse scores so wondering if this is possible the issue.
NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
nycplayboy78
Regular Contributor

Re: Capital One "Memory"

Your whole credit file includes loan history with lenders and if Cap1 was burned by your Repo in 2009 I would think that would be the if not only basis for their denial of credit to you.

EX08 801 EQ08 812 TU08 805 Total Credit Line: $100K+
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well this just answered my question in my new post. I won't bother applying with them. I had a repo in 07 that was turned over to collections. I think I'll go with my local credit union. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Absolutely a burned car loan within the past ten years 'could' be a factor in not lending on yet another car (09 isn't that far back)

Seems like in the denial letter the past repo 'might' be one of the listed negs no?

You may want to ask them out right 'hey does my past repo, prevent a car loan and for how long'...if it's forever at least you know.

There are some lebders that are like that, I've heard some that will shut down the app, which is what you'd prefer, asnot to burn a HP on a

company that really isn't gonna consider your app in the 1st place.

To me no big deal, if you choose not to do biz with me EVER again but at least tell me before you run credit for NOTHING!

I'd dispute the HP, if it were me

*BTW ...of course they beter have 'memory'...if not it'd be stupid, what institution wouldn't keep records...it's too easy in the computer age.

I called AmEx a few weeks back...just checking on 'specials' and the girl reminded me on my last account from 19 freaking 91 ...yeah they have a 'memory' Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

YEs, burning a lender, depending on who it is, can be the reason. I've heard that they can score you a certain way internally for a period of time they decide that could automatically deny you.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 6
surferchris
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Absolutely a burned car loan within the past ten years 'could' be a factor in not lending on yet another car (09 isn't that far back)

Seems like in the denial letter the past repo 'might' be one of the listed negs no?

You may want to ask them out right 'hey does my past repo, prevent a car loan and for how long'...if it's forever at least you know.

There are some lebders that are like that, I've heard some that will shut down the app, which is what you'd prefer, asnot to burn a HP on a

company that really isn't gonna consider your app in the 1st place.

To me no big deal, if you choose not to do biz with me EVER again but at least tell me before you run credit for NOTHING!

I'd dispute the HP, if it were me

*BTW ...of course they beter have 'memory'...if not it'd be stupid, what institution wouldn't keep records...it's too easy in the computer age.

I called AmEx a few weeks back...just checking on 'specials' and the girl reminded me on my last account from 19 freaking 91 ...yeah they have a 'memory' Smiley Wink

LOL..too funny (your post).

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.