Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital one blank check

tag
kobe2012
Established Contributor

Capital one blank check

So i pulled the trigger on capital one auto and got approved for up to $36000 with 6.02% rate ...is this a good rate? Imma first time buyer and im tryin to get a 2013 accord ...it should be in the next few months but i wanted to see where i stand ...honda is offering 0.9% for qualified buyer until 03-03-2013 and i wanna know if i should even try... and also, how does blank check work? Do i still need to put a down??? Am only trying to purchase $27k maybe $28k car ...any thoughts?

Starting Score: MYFICO 12/30/15 -TU: 481, EQ:561, EX:532 - BK7 DISCHARGED 12/2015 - Current: 09/01/2016 TU:642 EQ: 651 EX: 646
NFCU cashRewards:$6200 QS:$1500 Merrick:$1200 Cabelas:$1000 SonyVisa: $500 JCrew:$850 Overstock:$850 Express: $1050 PaypalCredit:$2150 NAVCHECK:$10K
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Capital one blank check

I don't know about the blank check, but given you're a first time buyer and taking a SWAG at your Auto-Enhanced score, that's a pretty good rate.

It costs you nothing if you do it within the next month to let the dealership attempt to beat your current offer: actually I would always recommend letting the dealer try especially on a new vehicle with how the FICO algorithm works.  

        
Message 2 of 10
bkfriendly
Established Member

iirc, last time i went thru cap1 blank check, no down pmnt required, and the b/c is only valid for 45 days, then you would have to re-apply, but to be sure of the stips, just check out the b/c pkg when it shows up Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 10
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

I just did gave the delaer a blank check LAST NIGHT - no word of a lie.

I went through my local CU that I've been doing all my banking through since I was about 12 (so over 18 years history with them) as well as the dealer - none of them matched Cap1.

If you got 5% through capital one I will doubt you will qualify for the >1% interest rates...those are for perfect credit scores and then ONLY if you can afford to have it paid off in 3 years or less (so either a really nice trade-in and/or big down payment - or make enought to afford a 5-600 payment easily).

Capital One beat my CU's rate by 1.5% Dealer financing was slightly above CU rate.

The only thing to consider is the following:

1- they have to be a dealership that accepts Cap One - if you already have a car picked out and a deal going with a dealership then check online to see if they are an approved dealership for Cap 1 (check on Cap Ones sight) not every dealership is ok in the eyes of Cap 1.

2- I don't know if its common, but it makes sense - but you'll need to wait for the check to clear before taking delivery. Cap 1 told me on the phone that I would be able to hand it over and drive away since its a 'bank check' but honestly there is no info on it other than my name and a cap 1 logo. We had to fill in the sale price, vin number, dealership name, etc. I can understand the dealership wanting to wait till it clears to allow me to drive away. - I'm hoping it doesn't take 5 days like the dealership told me it would.

3- I know there was a 3 but I can't remember it right now...

Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Message 4 of 10
kobe2012
Established Contributor

@scarrollprint wrote:

I just did gave the delaer a blank check LAST NIGHT - no word of a lie.

I went through my local CU that I've been doing all my banking through since I was about 12 (so over 18 years history with them) as well as the dealer - none of them matched Cap1.

If you got 5% through capital one I will doubt you will qualify for the >1% interest rates...those are for perfect credit scores and then ONLY if you can afford to have it paid off in 3 years or less (so either a really nice trade-in and/or big down payment - or make enought to afford a 5-600 payment easily).

Capital One beat my CU's rate by 1.5% Dealer financing was slightly above CU rate.

The only thing to consider is the following:

1- they have to be a dealership that accepts Cap One - if you already have a car picked out and a deal going with a dealership then check online to see if they are an approved dealership for Cap 1 (check on Cap Ones sight) not every dealership is ok in the eyes of Cap 1.

2- I don't know if its common, but it makes sense - but you'll need to wait for the check to clear before taking delivery. Cap 1 told me on the phone that I would be able to hand it over and drive away since its a 'bank check' but honestly there is no info on it other than my name and a cap 1 logo. We had to fill in the sale price, vin number, dealership name, etc. I can understand the dealership wanting to wait till it clears to allow me to drive away. - I'm hoping it doesn't take 5 days like the dealership told me it would.

3- I know there was a 3 but I can't remember it right now...

they didn't let you take home the car??? i thought the blank check is as good as cash??? or i would think it's the same thing as writting your own check.... hmm... 

Starting Score: MYFICO 12/30/15 -TU: 481, EQ:561, EX:532 - BK7 DISCHARGED 12/2015 - Current: 09/01/2016 TU:642 EQ: 651 EX: 646
NFCU cashRewards:$6200 QS:$1500 Merrick:$1200 Cabelas:$1000 SonyVisa: $500 JCrew:$850 Overstock:$850 Express: $1050 PaypalCredit:$2150 NAVCHECK:$10K
Message 5 of 10
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

I got my wife into her very first new car on her own credit strength at a Fiat dealer. 

Her score at the time was 675 fico

i told the dealer we wanted the "advertised" lease rate and slapped down the down payment of 1k on amex. 

she got the pop 500 with auto trans for 179 per month on a lease for 42 months and 15k miles per year. 

Fiat is Chrysler and it could not have been easier. 

We get at least two cap1 blank check invites per month but I prefer leasing over buying. 

Your score should be good enough. If you don't mind the inq....let the dealer try to beat the cap1 rate IMO. 

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 6 of 10
buskels
Valued Member

I've bought two vehicles with blank checks.  The first was Americredit many years ago and the last one was with Cap1 about 7 years ago.  

With Cap1, I had received something for a specific dealership and that they (cap1) would be onsite for financing.  I went down to try but found it really hard to deal with the dealer (I'm not into their sales tactics) on getting what I wanted for the price I wanted.  Just to see what the difference would be, I went home and applied for the blank check.  The interest rate was lower than what it would have been had I gone with Cap1 at the dealership.

When the check got in (Next day?) I called another dealer for the vehicle I wanted, verified over the phone that I could get it within desired price range and they wouldn't play all the haggline games.  Went to dealership, signed papers, gave them the blank check and I drove away.  Never even thought about it being limited to a certain dealership and I had no issues.  They give you the restrictions up in the paperwork (nothing over 50K on used, certain manufacturer excludes such as Kia I think).

When I had used the Americredit blank check, it was the same situation. I went in, gave them check, they faxed papers in and I drove away.

Starting Score: 689 (Feb 2013)
Current Score: 743
Goal Score: 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 10
fnne99
Established Member

I just used the Cap1 blank check back in January. No hassels, no problems, done in an hour and drove home. Only issues I could see someone having is that Cap1 will only finance up to 110% of invoice so make sure and find out what the dealer invoice price is. This can be a sticking point if the car you are looking for is close to the max approved amount from Cap1.

Message 8 of 10
fnne99
Established Member

One other thing. I had the dealer look for a better rate than the 5.7% the blank check gave me. This dealer used Cap1 finance, non-blank check, and approved me at 9%. Same company and 3 points difference. 

Message 9 of 10
Mish0817
Regular Contributor

I just bought my daughter a new car last Sunday, I applied for the cap 1 blank check, got approved for 7.75% went to the dealership chase bank gave me 5.99% through the dealer so for me it was more of a tool. But I would have used it no problem! Ill wait 6 months and refi

Eq 675
TU 681
Ex your guess is as goodas mine!

Nfcu Cash Rewards 15000, Nfcu nRewards Mc 15000, Walmart 600, Target 400, VS 650,Capital one 3750, Us Bank 300, Discover 4500,Citi DP 1500, Chase Freedom 2000. And I'm done...... no more cards just going to tend my garden
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.