Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capitol One Charge Off-Vehicle Still w/Me

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capitol One Charge Off-Vehicle Still w/Me

Hey all! I had a Capitol One auto loan since Dec 24, 2012 for a 2009 Subaru Legacy when I lived in Utah. Made payments like normal until June 2017 when I lost my job and got divorced. I ended up being homeless and living in the car until early 2019.

I have moved to 4 different states since trying to get job opportunities to pay the car off but until early last year I had nothing significant. Now I make a pretty good living thanks to the help of some strangers that let me stay and do manual labor until I could get something better.

I owe $7800 on the car but it is now only worth $3000. It has 114k miles on it and a couple dings. The vehicle started leaking oil and I wanted to know my options for getting it resolved so I can clear my anxiety of this burden. 

It doesn't appear to have been turned over to collections and they haven't repossessed it. I have never received any phone calls or mail about it either.

What is the best way to resolve this? 7 years is 2023...should I just leave it and let it fall off my report and THEN pay it off? I only have about $3500 right now but was going to see if they would settle.

Or should I just wait til I have the full $7800 to pay? (That might take 2 more years!) Either way I need to get rid of this junkdclear the debt. Any help or guidance would be helpful.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Capitol One Charge Off-Vehicle Still w/Me

Welcome to MyFico Forums, and really glad to hear things are going much better for you. Hope you enjoy Happy Holidays!

First things first: How do you know you still owe $7800 on it? That sounds like a very high amount considering you apparently bought the 2009 car in 2012 and made payments on it for 5 years. If the balance is really that high then Capital One likely bumped up the balance with late fees, other fees, and a very high default interest rate. And the obvious reason they haven't tried to repossess the car is that as you've moved so much they have no idea where to find you. But even so it is highly unlikely they would try to repo on a loan in default for over 3 years with no payments, and for a car worth less than half they balance owed, even if they could find you.

Have you gotten an estimate to get the oil leak fixed? Subarus have very good reputations, and 114k miles is not that much, especially for an 11 year old car. If it can be fixed for a reasonable amount your best bet is to just keep it. Are you planning on applying for new credit? If not, 3-4 years it will be off your credit report, and the Capital One loan will only be a problem if you try to sell it. If you really want to get rid of this you might see if they will settle for $3k-3500, as I said that balance has to be bumped way up with fees & default interest.

But since you've enjoyed several years of peace & quiet, contact them in a way they can't bother you if you can't reach an settlement they can't start harassing you with collection calls. Such as get a free Google Voice phone # you can get rid of if it becomes a problem. But, while there are many lenders who will follow you to the ends of the earth to get how ever much money they can get out of you, Capital One isn't one of them, they're usually fairly reasonable.

All the best to you! Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.