Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Loan Paid Off = Lowering of Credit Score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Car Loan Paid Off = Lowering of Credit Score

So I recently paid off a car loan, on time, and one of my credit scores took a 22 pt dip.  Why would that be?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: Car Loan Paid Off = Lowering of Credit Score

utilization?  

credit mix? 

Do do you have any other installment loans?

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So I recently paid off a car loan, on time, and one of my credit scores took a 22 pt dip.  Why would that be?

Only lost 22 points? You got off cheap. I lost 40 when I paid off my car note and another 60 the next month when I paid off my mortgage. That left $1200 a month free in my budget, no debt and my credit was trash.

Message 3 of 4
Glen_M
Frequent Contributor

Credit Mix.  If your auto loan was the only active installment account you had, you would lose a big chunk of the Credit Mix portion of the score when it was paid off.

Past accounts generally don't matter for evaluating credit mix in most FICO scoring models, so only the accounts that are open and active will grant you points.  There are a few options for getting them back if you're motivated, like buying another car or house, or a less expensive method such as opening a secured loan and following the technique described here:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Adding-an-installment-loan-the-Share-Sec...

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.