Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car buying Negotiators

tag
Chala
Contributor

Car buying Negotiators

I need to get in to a new veheicle this month and I was considering hiring a car buying negotiator even after reading tuturials on this forums. In speaking to him he mentioned something that shocked me. He said i "you do not have to let the dealship or finance guy run my credit until the deal is finalized". How is this possible? How are monthly payments arranged with out running my credit, can someone enlighten me?

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Re: Car buying Negotiators

I believe the "deal" is the out the door price of the car. One thing you do not want to get into with a car salesperson is "how much you can afford a month". Once you have determined the price of the car then you can talk about financing. The smart way to buy a car is to obtain the best financing you can find for yourself and then see if the dealership can beat it. When you are auto finance rate shopping you can get multiple inquiries yet FICO scores them as one as long as they are all pulled within 30 days. After being financed is when you will know your monthly payments. 

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 2 of 22
Chala
Contributor

@Medic981 wrote:

I believe the "deal" is the out the door price of the car. One thing you do not want to get into with a car salesperson is "how much you can afford a month". Once you have determined the price of the car then you can talk about financing. The smart way to buy a car is to obtain the best financing you can find for yourself and then see if the dealership can beat it. When you are auto finance rate shopping you can get multiple inquiries yet FICO scores them as one as long as they are all pulled within 30 days. After being financed is when you will know your monthly payments. 

so the dealer does not have to pull my credit at all if i find my own financing and if i read this correctly?

Message 3 of 22
Medic981
Valued Contributor

The only way I know of keeping the dealership from pulling your credit is if you pay in cash at the time of purchase. That would present with another set of headaches. I would just ask the dealership what you would need to do to purchase a vehicle without incurring a hard inquiry by the dealership. In this day and age, it is a foregone conclusion you are going to get a hard pull when buying a new car. 

I have had my financing already in place when purchasing a car and the dealership informed me they needed to pull my credit just in case the bank financing for some reason fell through.   

Perhaps other MFers have more information or a better idea than I have.

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are providing your own financing dealer should have no need to pull credit.

They may want to run so they can make money off the financing but I can't imagine you have to let them.

Message 5 of 22
Chala
Contributor

thanks much @Medic981,@njcobra10tha

Message 6 of 22
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you are providing your own financing dealer should have no need to pull credit.

They may want to run so they can make money off the financing but I can't imagine you have to let them.

FICO score-wise, it does not matter how many times your file is HP while rate shopping. You got a HP to get financed and it is rare for people to pay in cash for a new car. Yes, the dealership whats to try to make money on financing the deal but the average buyer would want a better financing rate if the dealership can find it. FICO and creditors understand rate shopping whether it is for a home or an auto so expect multiple inquiries. 

Waiting for your outside financing check to clear the bank and then pick up the car from the dealership is the only way I see avoiding an inquiry from the dealership.

You don't have to let the dealership run your credit and the dealership doesn't have to let you leave with the car until they are satisfied they are going to get paid.

Message 7 of 22
sccredit
Valued Contributor

When using a NFCU check for financing the dealership said they had to run credit for "Patriot Act" compliance.  I told them it wasn't going to happen, it was a deal breaker.  They called NFCU, verified that the check was legit and the financing fully approved and came back and said ok.  That was my experience.  

Message 8 of 22
Chala
Contributor

these are all answers based on financing, how bout leasing which is what i a leaning towards? I should have mentioned this at the top of the page, my apologies!

Message 9 of 22
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@sccredit wrote:

When using a NFCU check for financing the dealership said they had to run credit for "Patriot Act" compliance.  I told them it wasn't going to happen, it was a deal breaker.  They called NFCU, verified that the check was legit and the financing fully approved and came back and said ok.  That was my experience.  

NFCU has exceptional customer service. One of the few financial institutions that have 24/7/365 call center access. The dealership was able to verify the check was good and let you drive off the car lot.

Many car deals are finalized after banking hours and this is not an option for a lot of people.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.