Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car buying experience

tag
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Car buying experience

We decided to buy our 17 year old son a car. Technically the car belongs to DW and I but he gets to use it if he pulls grades and is doing everything he needs to around the house. We decided to buy the car outright and not finance but the entire experience was eye opening.

We were looking in the $10k range and looked at a number of cars at a number of dealerships, both franchised (branded) dealerships and used car dealers. The majority of them (8 out of 9 dealers) had mandatory "dealer added accessories" and they would NOT negotiate the add ons. Obviously these are pure profit items. The dealer add on game is nothing new but the absolutely not negotiating on them was new to me. All of them said the same thing - that everyone does it in Southern California. It got to the point that we quit going into dealerships and would start calling and 1. verifying the car was still there and 2. if they had any added items not included in the advertised price. Out of 20 calls we had one Hyundai dealer who did not have any added items. The entire process was aggravating. We ended up buying a Certified 2019 Hyundai Accent. Paid in full, $3k cash, $3k on credit card and the balance via debit card. Had we just wrote them a check they would have needed a credit check and we wanted to avoid that if we could.

My post is half to vent about the experience and half as a warning to be careful when shopping. 

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

Re: Car buying experience

Vent away!

The car buying process is one of the most aggravating experiences I've dealt with. Next time I think I will look for a private seller. 

Message 2 of 42
sccredit
Valued Contributor

@Save-n-Invest wrote:

Vent away!

The car buying process is one of the most aggravating experiences I've dealt with. Next time I think I will look for a private seller. 

I just feel like its straight up false advertising. If you want a certain price for a car just advertise it as such. Don't advertise the car for $9,999 if it is actually $12,499. The dealer we found that played no games got our business. Even the negotiating was easy, one back and forth round and a deal was cut. We ended up spending more than we set out to but we also ended up with a newer car with less miles so it worked out. DW's lease is up later this year and I am not looking forward to the same game all over again. I think you're on to something with the private seller idea.

Message 3 of 42
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

I honestly feel like it's one of those things that people just don't know enough about that feel like they are being dupped and some places that are being greedy are doing some dooping XD      But if the price online is listed 9,999 some people do actually qualify/receive that price usually when you see a price difference it is because of specific discounts/incentives that not everyone will qualify for.    That is why some people will pay 12k for the same car someone else paid 9,999 for but there is so much more to it.       Tax, Dealer Fees, somethings that are not in control of the Dealership itself (like say if Kia or Honda started adding things from the Facotry that it would cost to be removed then it doesn't make sense to charge to take it off).    Some things can be optional but in a lot of those cases they are ADDED onto it afterwards but some come from the Facotry with specific add ons too so if the Dealership orders 12 in one way and 12 in the other way on the same trim vehicle for example and they sell out of the first 12 or are waiting on the other some people are ok with getting it will add ons already and some will wait etc.       But I feel like Car Classes, (along with Home Economics and CS and other things) would have been a BIG help if they had them in schools....It's a double edged sword really some people really do care while others try to upsell as much as possible to grow their business which is the same for any business really but does not mean there aren't good ones out there just the same ^^

Message 4 of 42
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

If you consider a private seller try to get complete service records. Have a trusted mechanic do a PPI. 

When I buy a car it's cash, no trade. Take it or leave it. Still they try all kinds of add ons. I made one attempt to buy a late model used car. Dealer pulled the deal when they finally realized I was not using their financing. Three days of that nonsense to come home and start all over. 

And they say buyers are liars! 

Message 5 of 42
sccredit
Valued Contributor

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

I honestly feel like it's one of those things that people just don't know enough about that feel like they are being dupped and some places that are being greedy are doing some dooping XD      But if the price online is listed 9,999 some people do actually qualify/receive that price usually when you see a price difference it is because of specific discounts/incentives that not everyone will qualify for.    That is why some people will pay 12k for the same car someone else paid 9,999 for but there is so much more to it.       Tax, Dealer Fees, somethings that are not in control of the Dealership itself (like say if Kia or Honda started adding things from the Facotry that it would cost to be removed then it doesn't make sense to charge to take it off).    Some things can be optional but in a lot of those cases they are ADDED onto it afterwards but some come from the Facotry with specific add ons too so if the Dealership orders 12 in one way and 12 in the other way on the same trim vehicle for example and they sell out of the first 12 or are waiting on the other some people are ok with getting it will add ons already and some will wait etc.       But I feel like Car Classes, (along with Home Economics and CS and other things) would have been a BIG help if they had them in schools....It's a double edged sword really some people really do care while others try to upsell as much as possible to grow their business which is the same for any business really but does not mean there aren't good ones out there just the same ^^

If it was just the rebate/incentive stuff I would get it. We're talking the $1,499 GPS, $499 window tint and the $699 Door Guard kind of crap.

Message 6 of 42
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@sccredit,

I've forgotten one other not quite near miss on my last buy. My mechanic called and told me to buy another car. He is as honest as the day is long. I went to pick up my car. While I was there he just finished a PPI on a used car he was shopping for his adult daughter. He told me the car was perfect. He suggested I consider it seriously if he didn't buy it. 

When I got home I checked the dealer's website. The car was there as an Internet special. Price was dimmed out. I phoned. Sales guy told me I have to come to the dealership for the price. I refused. He offered to send someone to pick me up. Can you imagine being with those bandits and no way back home???

I told the sales guy who recommended the car to me. The two businsses are in walking distance on the same block. He disvowed any knowledge of my mechanic's shop. Said he lived in a different county. That's the best car seller lie I've ever heard. Smiley Happy

I moved on to the liars who wasted my time for three days before buying new at a different dealership. They were nuts too. By that time I had no patience for stupidity. I guess they were able to read that and I we made a deal. 

Message 7 of 42
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@sccredit wrote:

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

If it was just the rebate/incentive stuff I would get it. We're talking the $1,499 GPS, $499 window tint and the $699 Door Guard kind of crap.

Did they forget VIN etching?  lol

Message 8 of 42
sccredit
Valued Contributor

@Save-n-Invest wrote:

@sccredit wrote:

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

Did they forget VIN etching?  lol

I actually did not see that one anywhere lol. But the door guards.... Pieces of clear plastic over the edges of the doors for $500-$750 depending on the dealer. Can buy a roll of the stuff on Amazon for $15. The GPS tracker markup is absolutely insane. I know this because in a past life I financed a company that manufactured and sold them. Cost to manufacture is about $38. Selling price is $109. One dealer offered it to me for their "cost" of $999. Friggin ridiculous.

Message 9 of 42
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@Girlzilla88 , I think OP was shopping a used car. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If it was a used car the seller would know what is on the car prior to pricing and advertizing. 

Your comment about car classes is interesting. I've read so many suggestions as to what our schools should teach. Many posts on the site suggest money management/credit classes. As it is now our school system is transportation, nutriton and babysitting with incidental learning. 

Thanks for your input. I enjoy your contributions. You seem to be a person who is interested in ethical business practices. 

Message 10 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.