Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car buying experience

tag
bigfoot98
Valued Member

Re: Car buying experience

Dealer add ons are typically removable and HIGHLY negotiable. Hood deflectors, "dumb ****" plastic door bump guards, flashing brake light, floor mats, seat covers, wheels, running boards, GPS tracking, paint protection spray, and the biggest ripoff going pin stripes, are all removable or non chargeable. I had dealer tell me they could not remove their 7k markup on a truck once. They added pin stripes 1k, door bump protector 1k, hood and window deflectors 1k, seat protection wipes 1k, paint protection spray 1k, bedliner conditioner 1k, and something else. They also stated "it's a new model so no discounts are available" so I left. They called me and begged to come back lol, I blocked the number and went somewhere else.

I only ran into a few dealers with addons on a factory like vehicle and several that lift and unfit them which is obviously different territory. Most addons at Chevy dealers I went to were what is known in GM land as a LPO and is a factory option installed at the dealer or a GM accessory that is dealer added. Most are removable depending on what it is. Some like grille lights or tailgate step speakers are not removable easily but most are.

Any dealer adding crap on a used vehicle is a scam artist IMHO..

Everyone needs to check out the Chevy Dude on YouTube. He goes over this stuff indetail.

Edit spelling and more info.

Message 21 of 42
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

@Save-n-Invest     Oh yes I definitely agree I have 3 cars right now and saving for my 4th I know it may seem a bit crazy haha but my 3rd car is almost paid off and one of those cars will be handed down to my son when he "buys it from me later" I won't charge him a Ridiculous amount but enough to help him understand finances and such ^^     *fingers crossed I didn't jinx myself either lmao*     But I do also agree of keeping them til the wheels fall off and then I am buying new wheels ;D      But I am also an avid car lover too so that can be dangerous Haha!

Message 22 of 42
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

@bigfoot98      You are right on some of that if it comes FACTORY then the dealer can't remove it, if it's something they add on later then it is doable to remove/negotiate on but a lot of the time they have 10 set aside that have those add ons that are more commonly ordered and keep some that are factory standard and order some that have factory add ons/upgrades etc...     If they are adding onto a used vehicle that is very odd.      Unless someone bought that vehicle bought the add ons and then it got repo'd?!!?      When a vehicle first rolls out there are a lot of the time NO incentives that's because the Make (in this case Chevy) hasn't said what they want to do for it yet.      after some time they will let the stores know or the store itself will have their own maybe financing deals etc but just like when let's say 2020 ended and now 2021 models are out (usually they roll out the last quarter of the year before) once the stock gets so low on the 2020 (NEW models) the prices will also go back up even though they are an older year because now there are few left  ^^     What I would suggest is finding on that doesn't have the add ons from factory or see if they are being added after so like you said if they are after you can see about getting them off to help save some there too!   Smiley Very Happy

Message 23 of 42
dunn2500
Established Contributor

you can get them removed it just takes time......i contacted about 50 dealers and almost every single one removed them about 1-2 weeks after initial conversation....and truck i bought had 2k in addendums and they were removed......i focus on OTD price and thats only price i ask for, how they do it i could care less.....then i match OTD quotes with other dealers....until i negotiate the price to what highest volume dealer in US is charging for their vehicles, its alot of research and work but it does pay off......find out who highest volume dealer in the US is for that specific brand and use their pricing as a barometer...you can even beat it sometimes...

Message 24 of 42
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

@dunn2500    Yes it all boils down to Dealership as well as Make (owner) so shopping around is always a good idea but not when you don't know what you are doing and cause a lot of unnecessary inquiries even though down the road they should consolidate but that's another story all together. XD     It sounds like what you do works good for you and I have always been big on OTD pricing but some people don't even want to take the time to go to dealerships in the area for the OTD quote and such and to me that is a shame.     That can help a lot of people to find the best value for their buck. Smiley Happy

Message 25 of 42
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

Message 26 of 42
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

@Save-n-Invest    Did you mean to post a blank reply?!   XD

Message 27 of 42
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

@Save-n-Invest     Oh yes I definitely agree I have 3 cars right now and saving for my 4th I know it may seem a bit crazy haha but my 3rd car is almost paid off and one of those cars will be handed down to my son when he "buys it from me later" I won't charge him a Ridiculous amount but enough to help him understand finances and such ^^     *fingers crossed I didn't jinx myself either lmao*     But I do also agree of keeping them til the wheels fall off and then I am buying new wheels ;D      But I am also an avid car lover too so that can be dangerous Haha!

I only have two at the moment, a daily and a seasonal in my garage on a BatteryTender. The seasonal is my baby. It's a '91 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce. The convertible is my digital detox. It's a lot of fun to get behind the wheel of a car that lets me drive. No nagging or backseat driving. The daily has so much gismology that it actually makes me laugh sometimes. 

Not too long ago the wipers on the daily made one pass across the windshield. The weather was clear or so I thought. I few minutes later I saw a tiny drop on the glass and the wipers made another pass. I've never considered it a hardship to keep my wand on INT and move to the first detente when it rained. I guess that is too much today.  I will never understand the reasons for rainsense unless it's making it so difficult to replace a windshield.

There is an extra space in my garage. I stay wasy form car shows for that reason. Smiley Happy

Message 28 of 42
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

No, sorry about that. I just posted an actual reply.

Message 29 of 42
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

@Save-n-Invest      LMAO I definitely understand that I have 2 dailies (1 newer which is the 2017 Malibu you see in my siggy just to have a 'newer/reliable vehicle to cover if anything happens to my project car xD' and the one I am almost done paying off) the other Daily is my 2010 Honda Civic (paid off) which I love to DEATH!!!     That car is so awesome for abuse and for literally the Bare minimum of maintenance lololol i have had no issues and literally only do routine mainentance on it XD       I do have my project car which is a '91 3000gt vr4 conversion but eventually once the Malibu is paid I will be finalizing on a racecar (I too try to stay away from Car Shows buttttttt I am suckered in from time to time.)    Rally Racing/F1/PL/Drift Events are my weaknesses X'D    What color is your AR!?    <3    I love classic cars <3

Message 30 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.