cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car loan sold by bank and still shows on credit report

tag
cynical_eden

Car loan sold by bank and still shows on credit report

My husband has a loan on his truck we received through a local credit union. The bank went out of business last january and sold the account to our new bank. On his credit report both accounts show up and current. The old account balance never changes as it is frozen at whatever was the balance last year when the sale happened and of course the new loan shows up and decreases every month.

My question is shouldn't the old loan be at a 0 balance? It is dramatically affected his credit score because it looks like he is in double the debt with a never decrease to his balance. Is this similar to what a refi would look like? Or do I need to contact the bank and make them fix it?

I wanted to check here first because I get the best information from this group and I think the bank might not know what they are talking about. Should I dispute it with the CRAs?
LA VFW USAA World Mastercard: $9,500/USAA Visa Platinum: $8,000/Home Depot: $5,500/CareCredit: $5,000/Paypal Mastercard: $4,250/Amazon Store:$2,200/Ashley Furniture GE $2,000/Local CU Visa: $1500/WalMart: $1,100/Discover IT: $1,000/Victoria's Secret: $500/Kohl's: $400/Local bank Visa: $300/BML: $501

Current Score: 740Walmart FICO (TU)/736 Credit Sesame/687 Credit Karma (TU)

Local banks give no love!

Last app: 7/31/13
No more apps until summer 2015!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
cynical_eden

Re: Car loan sold by bank and still shows on credit report

Oh and it looks like he has two car loans instead of just the one.
LA VFW USAA World Mastercard: $9,500/USAA Visa Platinum: $8,000/Home Depot: $5,500/CareCredit: $5,000/Paypal Mastercard: $4,250/Amazon Store:$2,200/Ashley Furniture GE $2,000/Local CU Visa: $1500/WalMart: $1,100/Discover IT: $1,000/Victoria's Secret: $500/Kohl's: $400/Local bank Visa: $300/BML: $501

Current Score: 740Walmart FICO (TU)/736 Credit Sesame/687 Credit Karma (TU)

Local banks give no love!

Last app: 7/31/13
No more apps until summer 2015!

Message 2 of 3
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Car loan sold by bank and still shows on credit report

@cynical_eden wrote:

My question is shouldn't the old loan be at a 0 balance? It is dramatically affected his credit score because it looks like he is in double the debt with a never decrease to his balance. Is this similar to what a refi would look like? Or do I need to contact the bank and make them fix it?

It probably should report a zero balance and closed status, but it's really not doing any harm from a FICO score perspective.    Installment loan utilization is such a minor component of your FICO score that it's not going to make a difference.

I'd just leave it alone.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.