Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carmax seems to avoid games other dealers play

tag
Dj4Money
Established Contributor

Re: Carmax prices must be super high

Which is why I keep dealers at arm's length, I don't even like phone calls. 

This time around was frustating because I knew the crisis would hit dealer hard especially on weekends which is their heaviest days.

But they played dumb. That said I am not in the market for sales leaders or popular new model. You can find great deals on sales leaders because OEM's are at war with each other over who sales the most SUV's, pickup trucks and sedans. What I want is not that rare but it's just over 350 cars nationally, give or take because car sites like Car Gurus and Auto Trader don't list ALL the dealers just a majority of them and manufacturer websites only go about 100 miles from your zip code and that is likely a move to protect local dealers.

CarMax is no dicker stricker/fix pricing model. You shouldn't have a problem because the biggest point of contention, the price is removed.

AutoNation is also fixed pricing model and lots of other dealers have adopted this as well. Carvana is fixed pricing since there no sales people.

CarMax pricing is regional but still more expensive than private party and still more than franchise dealers. I found much better deals on Certified Pre owned vs CarMax many times with much better warranties, furnished by the factory and not 3rd party. 

Message 11 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.