Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chances of an auto loan refi?

tag
JAlex2014
Established Member

Chances of an auto loan refi?

I’m wanting to refinance my auto loan with Wells Fargo Dealer Services. Right now I owe about $9800 @ 8.99% with 60 months left. The loan has been open for a year and I haven’t missed any payments. I’ve been paying the loan down with larger payments when I’m able to.  The original balance was $14K.  I opted for 72-month financing even though I planned on paying it off way sooner. I am hoping to refinance with a term of 48 or 36 months depending on the rate. 

My scores are in better shape now than they were when I purchased the car a year ago. My FICO scores are in the 670’s. Do I qualify for a better rate? Should I lower my credit card utilization and let it report before applying for the refi? Right now I’m at 35% utilization but by the end of the month, my utilization should be in around 26%.

Your feedback is appreciated Smiley Happy

Bank of America Alaska CC $20,400 | Citi Double Cash $19,000 | Citi Simplicity $9,100 | AMEX Blue Cash $24,000 | AMEX Platinum | Chase Amazon $6,500 | Chase Freedom $9,600 | Chase Sapphire $5,000 | NordicTrack $3,400 | Capital One Venture $10,900 | Capital One Plat $750 | Discover IT $8,000 | Best Buy $4,000 | Synchrony Mattress Firm $22,000 | Ikea Projekt $19,000

Total CL: $161,650
Util: 4%

AAoA: 4.5 Years

Current FICO Scores 06/21 - (EX - 776, TU- 787, EQ 770)
Starting FICO Scores 8/12 - (EX - 649, TU 651, EQ 643)
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chances of an auto loan refi?

@JAlex2014 wrote:

@I’m wanting to refinance my auto loan with Wells Fargo Dealer Services. Right now I owe about $9800 @ 8.99% with 60 months left. The loan has been open for a year and I haven’t missed any payments. I’ve been paying the loan down with larger payments when I’m able to.  The original balance was $14K.  I opted for 72-month financing even though I planned on paying it off way sooner. I am hoping to refinance with a term of 48 or 36 months depending on the rate. 

My scores are in better shape now than they were when I purchased the car a year ago. My FICO scores are in the 670’s. Do I qualify for a better rate? Should I lower my credit card utilization and let it report before applying for the refi? Right now I’m at 35% utilization but by the end of the month, my utilization should be in around 26%.

Your feedback is appreciated Smiley Happy

The key question is going to be the loan to value ratio.  If that is around 100% your good.  Much higher than 110% it might be tough.  I would find that information out and then apply with a credit union (DCU, NFCU and Penfed are all good).   I have been where you are a year ago and went from 12.57% to 4.29% with scores much lower than yours.  As long as that LTV is good your set.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.