cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chances of being approved for a $40,000 auto loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chances of being approved for a $40,000 auto loan?

Im currently looking to purchase my first car which is priced at around $40,000. I am 20 years old my annual gross income is $62,400 and I will make a year with my job in April. I have thin credit with 2 credit cards and its total amount is $1800. I was thinking of putting around 20-25% down towards the vehicle (No more than $10,000 down). My DTI ratio is 1% due to the fact I still live with parents ( Been living at my current address for my whole life). I've spoke with a few salesman and they've told me I have a good chance of being approved. I just would like more reassurance, what are my chances of being approved of a $40,000 auto loan? 
Thank you.

19 REPLIES 19
FICOlearner123
Regular Contributor

Re: Chances of being approved for a $40,000 auto loan?

Try https://www.capitalone.com/cars/prequalify, it will only be a soft pull and not impact your credit score and give you an idea.

Goal Cards
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well there are a lot of factors here. First off, have you financed a vehicle before? Or is this your first auto loan?

Also are you looking at a $50,000 car to put $10K down and now finance around $40K? Or will you be closer to $30K financed?

If this is your first auto loan you *may* get approved with enough money down but odds are not in your favor and be prepared for a high APR if approved. 

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

This will be my first auto loan. And either or, with that being $40k financed or even $30k financed.

Message 4 of 20
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Honestly, at your age, I wish I had gotten a cheaper car and thrown that excess money I was willing to burn into a brokerage account.

That being said, you can definitely be approved. Only question is with who and what the rate will be. 

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I would listen to Brian and get something less expensive. Put less money down and invest or save the rest. 

you'll also be less stressed with high payments on your first car plus the other expenses you may not be considering (full coverage insurance, gas, etc.)

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

One of the biggest mistake I have made in my life was being car obsessed.

By Age 19-20 I already had 3 new cars.

The first 2 maybe made sense as I was moving across country and it might not have paid to take my car then.

The 3rd was a big mistake.  I was in college and made OK money working as a waiter and traded in m y 1985 Mustang GT for a 1987 Mustang GT.  This was so stupid with money burning a hole in my pocket.

I am sure you have thought about things and can afford the car but please do yourself a favor and consider a few more things.

• It will take a very long time until you have so much disposable income again since you are able to live with family now and don't pay rent.
  • What is it about the 40,000 car that makes it worth it to you vs a cheaper one?
  • What car are you looking at?  Many manufacturers have first time buyer programs or recent college grad programs
  • Check out a credit union and get pre-approved before you head to the dealer.  For example DCU pulls your Equifax Mortgage score.  Know the score and if it's above 660 maybe let them do the hard pull and have a solid pre-approval so you know where you stand.
  • Capital One Auto navigator will give you an idea but may not be the best rate.
  • Carvana will also prequalify you but typically very high rates (was 12% versus 5% or less for 7 years with my local credit union when I looked last)
  • Figure out a budget and stick to it.  If you can pay $500 a month for the car and an extra $100 a month for the insurance prove it.  Save $600 a month for at least 3-4 months then you have both proved you can afford the payment and saved a little more for the down payment.
  • Think about your short and mid term goals - do you want to move out in the next 2 years?  Can you afford rent plus the car?  What if you got a car that was half the price and put the other half in savings to come up with 5% down on a small condo?
  • Do not settle for a high interest rate thinking you can always refinance.  If you are indeed putting down $10K then maybe that is a possability but with a higher rate it's very hard to stay right side up and if you are not right side up you cannot refinance without paying it down until you are right side up.

Learn from m y mistakes and think things through but if I could go back to my 20 year old self I would have kicked my butt for trading a perfectly good 1985 Mustang GT for a 1987 one because it was faster and nicer looking.

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing I love better than when inquiring at the butcher shop, "Might you recommend a good cut of beef?" being told I would be better off going to the fish market across town. "Beef isn't good for you, sonny."

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Im currently looking to purchase my first car which is priced at around $40,000. I am 20 years old my annual gross income is $62,400 and I will make a year with my job in April. I have thin credit with 2 credit cards and its total amount is $1800. I was thinking of putting around 20-25% down towards the vehicle (No more than $10,000 down). My DTI ratio is 1% due to the fact I still live with parents ( Been living at my current address for my whole life). I've spoke with a few salesman and they've told me I have a good chance of being approved. I just would like more reassurance, what are my chances of being approved of a $40,000 auto loan? 
Thank you.

Assuming your credit is pristine you should be okay. Good luck!

Message 9 of 20
Jrl1vin2
Established Member

1.   The answer to your question is that you will almost certainly be approved for the loan. 

2. The answer to the question you are not asking is that this is a terrible idea.  

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.