Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Co-signer as primary. Straw purchase?

tag
LukeJoseph
Established Member

Co-signer as primary. Straw purchase?

Hi all. Hopefully can get some input from the experts around here Smiley Happy

Potentially purchasing a vehicle. Rates came back high 13-15% (expected). My mother with great credit 780 ish is what I saw when they pulled her credit is happy to co-sign.

When approvals came back, rates didn’t really change much. Between 11-13%. I asked the finance manager who is put as the primary. He said I have to be, and it would be illegal or a “straw purchase” if she was.

Is this correct? Only thing I could find in straw purchase is if say she was to purchase the car without my name anywhere on the car. And it is generally recommended to put the person with the higher credit score as the primary.

Thank you.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Co-signer as primary. Straw purchase?

By definition a 'straw purchase' is purchasing a vehicle with the intent of giving it to someone else that is not on the loan.
This is not that. Definitely not illegal, I always put the higher score on the front of the loan when sending over to a bank. Realistically it doesn't matter who is on the front of the loan or who is on the back because both reports are taken into consideration when determining rates. That being said, 13-15% is pretty high unless you have a very loan score or it's a very old vehicle.
Message 2 of 7
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@LukeJoseph wrote:
Hi all. Hopefully can get some input from the experts around here Smiley Happy

Potentially purchasing a vehicle. Rates came back high 13-15% (expected). My mother with great credit 780 ish is what I saw when they pulled her credit is happy to co-sign.

When approvals came back, rates didn’t really change much. Between 11-13%. I asked the finance manager who is put as the primary. He said I have to be, and it would be illegal or a “straw purchase” if she was.

Is this correct? Only thing I could find in straw purchase is if say she was to purchase the car without my name anywhere on the car. And it is generally recommended to put the person with the higher credit score as the primary.

Thank you.

Check with your local CU. My mother cosign for my fist car my score was 680 hers was 780. I got a 2.74% rate through a local CU. So if they are giving you an 11-13% range thats horrible. 

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 59.9K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K,
Message 3 of 7
krielly
Established Contributor

They are trying to stick you with a high interest rate. The dealer gets a cut of the interest rate. 

Don't bite! If you walk, I have no doubt they will offer you a better rate, but as has been said, check with a credit union.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing!
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Illegal straw purchase?!  It's a vehicle not a firearm. I've never heard of such a thing. For the longest time I always had family members get my cars in their name for me. We would go to the dealership together and they 100% knew the car was for me and never had a problem or was told that's illegal. 

Message 5 of 7
MichaelWoodland
Established Member

Our friend hulkcreditsmash hit the nail right on head.

Finance Manage at dealership is lying to you. He wants to make big money of loan on points added. 

I would go into the dealership and claim you will file FTC complaint! DMV complaint!

Finance Managers are like wild west cowboy! They do not play by rules!

Message 6 of 7
Medic981
Valued Contributor

The best strategy to use when financing a car is to arrange for your own financing ahead of time. Once you have your own financing in hand, you can forget the "how much can you afford a month" deal that finance managers like to use and work on "what is the out the door price of the car" deal. When you have settled on an out the door price for the car, then you can reveal that you have your financing already in place. Mr. Finance Manager, my CU is offering to loan me $xx,xxx at x.x%. Can you beat that financing?

Never, never, NEVER let the dealership run your credit before you have finalized the price of the car and make sure you read anything put before you in full before you sign it. It just could include your permission to run your credit and generate 10 inquires. 

One of the ways dealerships make money is padding the interest rate offered to you. The best interest rate they could find is 8.99% and they tell you the loan if for 12%. the dealership pockets the 3.01% as a "finders fee."

Your best weapon is your willingness to walk out the door. The best advice is not to give your trade-in keys to the salesman so they can't hold your car hostage. Tell them that you only want to work one deal at a time. After you finalize the purchase price of the car, then you will negotiate the trade-in. Dealerships like to use trade-in value to muddy the waters in negotiations. 

Good luck to you.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.