Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit cards before an auto loan?

tag
iNathanDrake
Valued Member

Credit cards before an auto loan?

Hey everyone, I’m in the process of looking into refinancing an auto loan. I would like to refinance with capital one and will get a much better rate. That said, this morning I was going to apply for a new credit card (ironically enough, through capital one as well) and I stopped and thought, would opening this account affect my chances or rates of my refinance?

So does anyone have any experience or knowledge on this? Should I hold off on applying for a card until after the refinance? Or does it not make a difference at all? Will it help that it’s another capital one product or is that redundant?

Thanks in advance!
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit cards before an auto loan?

Complete the loan refi first then do the CC apps.

Message 2 of 4
RSX
Valued Contributor

It will likely be an HP for the CC. So I would wait

the refi is more important than a new CC.  

Wait it until the refi fully processes then go for the card

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 3 of 4
Gotham-
Frequent Contributor

Oh yes GET that Refi going 1st those HPs are
Reelz
Maybe someone may know that the CC you apply for could be an Experian Pull while the Refi could be a TU pull and the HPs pass in the night

You still get ding x2 but at least not from the same bureau potentially
2018 Dec Starting Score: 700
Current Score: 778
Achieved Goal Score 2020: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.