Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCU with a past repo?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DCU with a past repo?

Hi all, looking to finance a vehicle around next March. I already have checking account with DCU. I understand they pull Equifax. My current Equifax EQ04 score is 634. I have student loans reporting a few lates that have been consolidated to one loan. This loan totals 18k and has been paid on time for the past 6 months.

I have two capital one cards, one secured and one unsecured for $250 and $300 that carry a zero balance. I have a home depot card for $1100 that carries a $368 balance that I will pay down to under 10% utilization. In summary, I have 4 positive lines of credit.

Now for the baddies. I have a repo that occurred last October from a car loan that I thought was paid off. I sent the perceived final payment but apparently I had a floating sixty (payments got mixed up, long story). Car was repoed and I immediately paid the balance and redeemed it. I also have a medical bill for $350 that I'm battling as I have no clue how it's mine. I've disputed three times and it keeps coming back verified. I'll just bite the bullet and do a pay for delete on that one. Also I have a $2800 judgment for property taxes that I just finished up paying. Gonna try to get that vacated but I doubt it'll happen. It's not showing as a lien or unpaid taxes, just a judgment.

My income is 70k, house is paid off so my DTI is really low. Been in my trade for over ten years. I'm looking to purchase a 30k truck and will put down at least 10k so I'm wanting to finance around 18-20k. With my gardening until next March and eliminating that medical bill I'm assuming I'll be at least in the 660 range. Do you guys think I'll qualify for a loan with DCU even with that repo on my credit report? Any advice on what I can do from now until then to further boost my score?
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: DCU with a past repo?

Forgot to add, I've got a house that I almost foreclosed on but did a short sale in 2012. It's reporting as paid for less than full balance or something to that effect.
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a repo and a foreclosure on my file and just refinanced in June.
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was it with DCU? How long ago was the repo/foreclosure and what was your score?
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. The repo was in early 2013 and the foreclosure was around the same time. My score was in the 660's and I got 3.99 with the checking discount.
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's good to know that I'd be able to refinance. I'm hoping to not go that route, but if need be I'm sure capital one would finance me at a pretty bad rate. I'd just wait 6 months and refi with DCU. Does anyone think I'd have a shot at getting the initial loan thru DCU though?
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Swampthing, how long did you have your loan before refinancing?
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I purchased the car new in March 2013 at a terrible rate. Refinanced in October to another lower but terrible rate. I then refinanced again in June so the car was over two years but the particular loan before it was just shy of two years. I paid aggressively. Very aggressively, so they could see that I can handle the payment. As in I was making payments of sometimes over 1000 total per month on a 408 dollar monthly payment.

I assume that history helped make the case.
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any more opinions?
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anybody?
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.