Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daughter Refi Auto Loan Question

tag
rushingjr
Valued Member

Daughter Refi Auto Loan Question

My 20yo college kid bought a car abt 3 mos ago. $6k at a high int rate (10%). How soon should she refi out of that loan and what's the best way to do it (CU, Cap1)? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Ron93
Established Member

Re: Daughter Refi Auto Loan Question

Yes refinance now. Refinancing typically has higher rates than new car loans. Rate Genius (very good broker) has some of the best rates around 2.99%-4.2% for well qualified buyers. The whole cost for a refi from them is $220 and they do all the paperwork. I just did one with them two months ago and it was easy as pie. Got a rate of 3.49% and I have a Fico score of 810

Message 2 of 7
AllZero
Mega Contributor

I would recommend joining a local credit union or online e.g. DCU.
Message 3 of 7
rushingjr
Valued Member

DCU = Digital Federal CU to be sure?

Message 4 of 7
Ron93
Established Member

I checked a lot of the credit unions for a refi and their rates are not that good.

Message 5 of 7
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@rushingjr wrote:

DCU = Digital Federal CU to be sure?

Yes, correct. The also offer 6.17% APY on savings up to $1,000.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The real question is will she even qualify for a refiance yet... Is the 10% due to her being a first time buyer? If she's a thin file with only 3 months of payment history you probably won't get a bank/credit union to pick her up just yet unless they also have a FTB program. If she's not a FTB, what was her score when they pulled? If she purchased from a dealer I'm sure they marked the rate up 2 points (2%) if financed through a bank.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.