Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealer ran multiple inquires without approval

tag
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Dealer ran multiple inquires without approval

OP, sucks that it happened that way but at least you got your new car and I hope you're enjoying it.

As mentioned, it isn't worth the time in trying to get the inquiries removed. I'm a former Finance Manager and what they did, and I'm guilty of it to when I spent time in the box, was shotgunned your app and waited to see what would stick.

Signing the credit app gives all the permission needed to do so. And the reason the inquiries came fast and furious is because once your info is loaded into software, it's just checking boxes as to where you want to hang the application.

Some Finance Managers get really sick with it but someone with your credit it makes no sense. I was very guilty of doing this type of thing when I was in Finance but I only did it with subprime customers when I truly needed to see where their application would stick.

Sorry it happened but I'm sure the impact will be small and loving your new car will outweigh the inquiries.

Congrats and enjoy!
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought two cars in the same year, both with preapprovals from Capital One. I told both dealerships I had my own financing and they were only authorized to run the credit CO required them to pull. One followed it, the other sent my file to like 15 banks. It was insane. That dealership lost a customer forever. Sorry it happened to you too!

Message 12 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I bought two cars in the same year, both with preapprovals from Capital One. I told both dealerships I had my own financing and they were only authorized to run the credit CO required them to pull. One followed it, the other sent my file to like 15 banks. It was insane. That dealership lost a customer forever. Sorry it happened to you too!

It doesn't matter how many times they run your credit, it all counts as 1.

Personally I will always arrange financing I'm happy with ahead of going into a dealership (well I may not go into a dealership ever again but different story) and then let the dealer with their lenders try to beat it.

Same true with new construction on the home side, preapproval I can live with, and then see about the builder lenders who often have rebates and other tricks (not all of these wind up being legit but anyway).

Ultimately more inquiries = more chances for you to get the best deal possible, and since they score as 1 when done close together (rate shopping), /shrug.  Inquiries get a bad rap on this forum, yeah they're problematic when you're doing credit card apps sure but mortgages, autos, and even student loans, you're *supposed* to do your due diligence by shopping around and therefore supposed to take a bunch of inquiries.

        
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very true. In my case, I was planning to buy a home soon and didn't want any more inquiries than necessary so it was frustrating. I had to write a million LOEs for all those inquiries!

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.