cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealership sold me car with a lien what should I do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dealership sold me car with a lien what should I do?

Bought car in Las Vegas. Took 120 days to get title in their name. Was told ups lost paperwork(title) month after I bought car DMV in AZ told me tell them to get duplicate copy of title at their DMV in Vegas. That's when u was told car had a lien on it thru bank. After 61 days both DMV told me return car and get $ back. General manager told me car shouldnt been on lot it didn't have proper paperwork nor serviced . Which I explain issues I was having no spare tire/equipment , expired air tank, sensor heater window hanging down from replacing windshield, car push button doesn't recognize key, has mud n snow tires which get poor gas mileage,recall wasn't done etc these were suppose to gone over if they did mandatory maintance 60,000. GM said they would take care of issues .I told him I want my $ back he said no get a lawyer I would take a different car also. I haven't put title in my name yet I want everything taken care of first. This has stressed me out I want to teach them a lesson because I feel dealership took advantage of me because I'm a female. GM tells me he'll get back with me on what their going to do and I don't hear from him for over 2 wks I then email them I'm going to get legal action involved he gets back and talks of same conversation I agree and I'm sitting waiting for him to get back with me. Also, after 116 days they put title in their name they altered the date they put it was in their name day after I bought it. That's a lie . Have salesman texting it had lien on car which means they couldn't of ups it to me from their state to mine with a lien on it. They made me pay over Kelly blue book cost which I think there's some kind of statue they can't do that . I still have to pay taxes etc when it gets registered and the dealership wants me to send them a copy of the registration to them so they can keep it on file. That's not happening. They have been deceitful to me . Is there anything I can do them? (Sue or get them to pay registration n services ) do I put title in my name while trying to get them to repair issues?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dealership sold me car with a lien what should I do?

Don’t threaten to get a lawyer, just get a lawyer. They know you are bluffing so they are only going to do the minimum to get you to leave them alone.

Call a legal aid service in your city. They will help you for free. 

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got legal assistance approval from AZ to get free legal aid and for 2 1/2 wks giving them info and filing complaint with DMV . Legal aid emails me saying them have to many cases and can't except my case. Now what ? Do I put title in my name yet or wait till this is dealt with?
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Because this matter is Las Vegas no lawyer or free legal aid can help me have to get from Vegas and they want you to come to them . There's not much assistance out there. I was in car accident waiting do neck surgery so my driving is limited as how far/long I can drive.
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Maybe you can still find an attorney to assist you. Some states/cities have pro bono attorneys who assist with various matters. You can start with the American Bar Association or other local bar associations to see if they maintain a list of atty’s that are licensed in NV or your home area and can assist you. Some large law firms have pro bono departments or at least encourage their attorneys to take on pro-bono cases. If someone can’t appear with you in court, they may be able to draft documents for you. Inform them that you were approved for legal aid and explain what happened. Lastly, some courts have self-help centers that explain how to file a civil case in case you have to go at it alone.

Good luck!
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

How did they sell you a car they did not legally possess? How did you BUY a car without the title? If they have cleared the title and have legally sold you the car and not transferring ownership then i would say you have strong legal case talk to a local attorney. If you signed anything at the time of sale that indicated there was a title problem and offered them any timeline on how quickly they had to resolve it, then legally your in less solid ground. As for your concern about KBB, that is nothing but a consumer resource. Its not binding on any level, they can sell the car for whatever they think they can get for it and its your job as the buyer to know what the car is worth BEFORE buying it. Any other issues with the car your probably out of luck on unless you A) Have signed "We owe" agreement that indicates what thet said they were covering or B) they have provided some kind of warranty but this deal sounds like a "as is" situation so your best bet is just getting the clear title and taking full possession of the car and moving on.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't sign anything about giving them time on clearing title. To buy some time he faked about ups losing title and having to file for new title . DMV told me ask them to get duplicate of title and that's when he told me the car had a lien on it didn't know how long it would take to clear. That's when I told him I didn't want the car he never told me about title and other issues going on with car. General manager contacted me and told me they would make right with car base on that car didn't go thru proper inspection and maintenance as well as the title. I told them I just wanted to return car he said get a lawyer and weeks later he called back again and said they wanted to take care of problems with car. I'm still waiting on GM to get back . I told him I wanted him to put in writing that they were taking care of issues but he hasn't got back. It's now been 4 months and I haven't put title in my name because I wanted to get issues taken care of before it's in my name. They made me wait for 4 months can't I wait to get them to fix what they said they were going to do? The issues has to do with them not maintenance and inspecting car that was to be done before putting on lot and mandatory procedures when it reached 60,000 miles. They didn't do and they told me so. I was totally deceived and tooken advantage of because of be a female and yes I should of knew what to do and look for but I didn't know. Does that give them an excuse to take advantage of me. ? Can anyone tell me what kind of laws to look up for my advantage?
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the car wasn't sold with a warranty and you don't have anything in writing that states that they will resolve any of the service work you want them to complete, then you have no legal claim to demand it. They have no legal obligation to perform any work before selling the car, your only leg to stand on is if you can find where they have stated work has been or would be done. You need to get the title from them and take ownership of the car. How did you register and get plates for the car upto this point? They can not withhold the title from you for any reason if they now have it in hand, so pick it up asap and negotiate the service work afterwards.
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have temp drive off permit. They were sending title to my DMV in AZ . I only have verbal comments from him . I can prove that they didn't do any manotory servicing/maintenance to car. Every car has to go thru proper inspection . I can't do anything about them altering the date of when they got title put in their name? I bought 4-18 and they just got the title put in their name 8-5 but if you look it up they have 4-19 when it was put in dealerships name. Not true. I do know 2 DMV persons who look up Vin # from AZ and laughlin nv they know title wasn't clear and they both told me to return car get $ back dealership was in violation of not having clear title they had 60 days in AZ and NV told me 30 days to produce title . Apparently an x employee of Chapman told my girlfriend that the dealership always has problems with getting clear titles. Guess their not ranked high in Vegas at the bottom Boulder hwy.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got extended warranty on the motor etc not electrical warranty. But when I told Him about wanting to get my $ back because of being deceived and title not clear yet that's when he told me no refund but we'll fix/replace what's wrong with the car due to it not being done before they put on the lot. They only had car for 7 days not long enough to do inspection or service/repair work on it. It didn't even go thru emissions which they charged me for.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.