cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealership sold me car with a lien what should I do?

Estimate your FICO® Score range for free

FICO® Score Estimator

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure

Dealership sold me car with a lien what should I do?

Bought car in Las Vegas. Took 120 days to get title in their name. Was told ups lost paperwork(title) month after I bought car DMV in AZ told me tell them to get duplicate copy of title at their DMV in Vegas. That's when u was told car had a lien on it thru bank. After 61 days both DMV told me return car and get $ back. General manager told me car shouldnt been on lot it didn't have proper paperwork nor serviced . Which I explain issues I was having no spare tire/equipment , expired air tank, sensor heater window hanging down from replacing windshield, car push button doesn't recognize key, has mud n snow tires which get poor gas mileage,recall wasn't done etc these were suppose to gone over if they did mandatory maintance 60,000. GM said they would take care of issues .I told him I want my $ back he said no get a lawyer I would take a different car also. I haven't put title in my name yet I want everything taken care of first. This has stressed me out I want to teach them a lesson because I feel dealership took advantage of me because I'm a female. GM tells me he'll get back with me on what their going to do and I don't hear from him for over 2 wks I then email them I'm going to get legal action involved he gets back and talks of same conversation I agree and I'm sitting waiting for him to get back with me. Also, after 116 days they put title in their name they altered the date they put it was in their name day after I bought it. That's a lie . Have salesman texting it had lien on car which means they couldn't of ups it to me from their state to mine with a lien on it. They made me pay over Kelly blue book cost which I think there's some kind of statue they can't do that . I still have to pay taxes etc when it gets registered and the dealership wants me to send them a copy of the registration to them so they can keep it on file. That's not happening. They have been deceitful to me . Is there anything I can do them? (Sue or get them to pay registration n services ) do I put title in my name while trying to get them to repair issues?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Established Contributor

Re: Dealership sold me car with a lien what should I do?

Don’t threaten to get a lawyer, just get a lawyer. They know you are bluffing so they are only going to do the minimum to get you to leave them alone.

Call a legal aid service in your city. They will help you for free. 

I just returned from financial hell. Don't go, the brochure is a lie.
Message 2 of 6

I got legal assistance approval from AZ to get free legal aid and for 2 1/2 wks giving them info and filing complaint with DMV . Legal aid emails me saying them have to many cases and can't except my case. Now what ? Do I put title in my name yet or wait till this is dealt with?
Message 3 of 6

Because this matter is Las Vegas no lawyer or free legal aid can help me have to get from Vegas and they want you to come to them . There's not much assistance out there. I was in car accident waiting do neck surgery so my driving is limited as how far/long I can drive.
Message 4 of 6
Valued Member

Hello,

Maybe you can still find an attorney to assist you. Some states/cities have pro bono attorneys who assist with various matters. You can start with the American Bar Association or other local bar associations to see if they maintain a list of atty’s that are licensed in NV or your home area and can assist you. Some large law firms have pro bono departments or at least encourage their attorneys to take on pro-bono cases. If someone can’t appear with you in court, they may be able to draft documents for you. Inform them that you were approved for legal aid and explain what happened. Lastly, some courts have self-help centers that explain how to file a civil case in case you have to go at it alone.

Good luck!
Message 5 of 6
Frequent Contributor

How did they sell you a car they did not legally possess? How did you BUY a car without the title? If they have cleared the title and have legally sold you the car and not transferring ownership then i would say you have strong legal case talk to a local attorney. If you signed anything at the time of sale that indicated there was a title problem and offered them any timeline on how quickly they had to resolve it, then legally your in less solid ground. As for your concern about KBB, that is nothing but a consumer resource. Its not binding on any level, they can sell the car for whatever they think they can get for it and its your job as the buyer to know what the car is worth BEFORE buying it. Any other issues with the car your probably out of luck on unless you A) Have signed "We owe" agreement that indicates what thet said they were covering or B) they have provided some kind of warranty but this deal sounds like a "as is" situation so your best bet is just getting the clear title and taking full possession of the car and moving on.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.