Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Demand to add DCU as lien holder on auto loan

tag
Teasha
Regular Contributor

Demand to add DCU as lien holder on auto loan

DCU has given me the runaround and threatening to increase my refi rates because they want me to go to DMV to add them as the lien holder on my auto loan.
I'm fairly positive they need to do this.
They keep asking me to send them the original title with their name in it. (If I had the title, I wouldn't need an auto loan)

I live in an electronic state and I've checked with the previous CU and they've been removed leaving the title clear.

Is this normal? Can I go to DMV to add DCU as the lien holder?

Help please

Starting Score: 0 No score until August 2011
Current Score: 11/17/22 EQ Fico 821, 4/28/22 TU Fico 828, 4/28/22 EX fico 811
Goal Score: 800
My wallet: Capital 1 Venture $13,000 | Amex BCP $22,000 | Amex BSE $8200 | Discover it $23,500 | Discover $7, 000 | Lowe's $15,000 | DCU $2,000 | CITI TYP $14,000 | CITI Simplicity $8,100 | Amazon Chase $14,400 | DCU Visa $2000 | Barclay's $4,550
Back in the garden!
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
ExplicitElicit
Established Contributor

Re: Demand to add DCU as lien holder on auto loan

Each state handles titling differently. What state is your vehicle registered in? A general answer to your question though is yes, you can go to the DMV and update the lien holder and then request a copy be sent to DCU. 

Message 2 of 10
Teasha
Regular Contributor

@ExplicitElicit wrote:

Each state handles titling differently. What state is your vehicle registered in? A general answer to your question though is yes, you can go to the DMV and update the lien holder and then request a copy be sent to DCU. 

I'm in Florida. Interesting...I've printed the appropriate forms and I've sent them to DCU to have them enter they're account and ID info. They also have to sign it before I can do anything at this point. 

I'd assume I also need them to send me the loan docs so I have proof that DCU is indeed the lender. I've never had to deal with doing all the leg work for the CU. It doesn't make sense that I need to put a lien on a car on the behalf of someone else. Smiley Indifferent

My wallet: Capital 1 Venture $13,000 | Amex BCP $22,000 | Amex BSE $8200 | Discover it $23,500 | Discover $7, 000 | Lowe's $15,000 | DCU $2,000 | CITI TYP $14,000 | CITI Simplicity $8,100 | Amazon Chase $14,400 | DCU Visa $2000 | Barclay's $4,550
Back in the garden!

Message 3 of 10
ExplicitElicit
Established Contributor

I would wait until you have all paperwork from DCU in hand, also if it was not included in the loan you can probably expect to pay the "state titling fee" which in Florida I believe stands around $75.25 (don't hold me to that amount). 

Message 4 of 10
Teasha
Regular Contributor

@ExplicitElicit wrote:

I would wait until you have all paperwork from DCU in hand, also if it was not included in the loan you can probably expect to pay the "state titling fee" which in Florida I believe stands around $75.25 (don't hold me to that amount). 

Thanks ExplicitElicit!

I was hoping I didn't have too... Considering I just gave DCU a piece of my mind on them not doing their job and threatening to increase my rates. Smiley Embarassed I'll wait to get the forms back and go from there.

Back in the garden!

Message 5 of 10
ExplicitElicit
Established Contributor

I'm not to familiar with DCU, but do they not have a titling department? If they do I'd ask to speak with them, otherwise I really don't see why they wouldn't be able to take care of this matter for you. Seems like someone is being lazy and does not want to work. Hopefully you get it figured out!

Message 6 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@ExplicitElicit wrote:

I'm not to familiar with DCU, but do they not have a titling department? If they do I'd ask to speak with them, otherwise I really don't see why they wouldn't be able to take care of this matter for you. Seems like someone is being lazy and does not want to work. Hopefully you get it figured out!

Yes, they have a titling dept.  Last year I refi'd from Chase to DCU.  My DH was not on the original loan but when I refi'd it he was added -this was in March.  When I received my registration forms from DMV, I noticed his name was not included -this was in November. I contacted them and they 'forgot' to add him to title even though he was on the loan. They sent me their original title with a letter to give to DMV.  I'm in So CA and a member of AAA, the whole process took 10 min but I paid the $15 transfer fee.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 7 of 10
Teasha
Regular Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

@ExplicitElicit wrote:

Yes, they have a titling dept.  Last year I refi'd from Chase to DCU.  My DH was not on the original loan but when I refi'd it he was added -this was in March.  When I received my registration forms from DMV, I noticed his name was not included -this was in November. I contacted them and they 'forgot' to add him to title even though he was on the loan. They sent me their original title with a letter to give to DMV.  I'm in So CA and a member of AAA, the whole process took 10 min but I paid the $15 transfer fee.  Smiley Frustrated

Thanks for the information 09Lexie! Just to be clear, DCU didn't handle it in house and you took the title to DMV? I guess some things slip through the cracks. I recommended DCU to my DH and everything went smoothly, no issues, no running around.

will wait till Monday and see if I can get a better response, just frustrating. 

Back in the garden!

Message 8 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Teasha wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@ExplicitElicit wrote:

Thanks for the information 09Lexie! Just to be clear, DCU didn't handle it in house and you took the title to DMV? I guess some things slip through the cracks. I recommended DCU to my DH and everything went smoothly, no issues, no running around.

will wait till Monday and see if I can get a better response, just frustrating. 

Correct. DCU mailed me the title to take to DMV. 

Message 9 of 10
DevotionToU
Regular Contributor

I am going to have to do this as well for DCU.  Got an email the end of last week have not contacted them yet about it.

$18000 Discover IT / $6000 Chase Freedom / $5000 DCU Visa / $3900 Fifth Third / $2500 Capital One Quicksilver / $2000 AMEX Blue Cash Everyday / $500 Chase Slate
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.