Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I mess up?

tag
Birdie82
Valued Member

Did I mess up?

I traded a 2017 HRV with 42K miles today at a Honda dealership, my payment was 439 on a 13.5% interest with Consumer Portfolio (Bankruptcy) and I could not refinance it because of the negative equity . I purchased a 2020 HRV Sport with a 5% interest but the negative equity, fees and all  rose it to $30K even though I put $2000 . I am having buyer's remorse per say, I know a car value's depriciates but , I will be keeping the car . I feel like I mess up somewhere .

They checked Equifax and it was 698

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Did I mess up?

@Birdie82 wrote:

I traded a 2017 HRV with 42K miles today at a Honda dealership, my payment was 439 on a 13.5% interest with Consumer Portfolio (Bankruptcy) and I could not refinance it because of the negative equity . I purchased a 2020 HRV Sport with a 5% interest but the negative equity, fees and all  rose it to $30K even though I put $2000 . I am having buyer's remorse per say, I know a car value's depriciates but , I will be keeping the car . I feel like I mess up somewhere .

They checked Equifax and it was 698

Looking solely at the interest rate, I think you did good from 13.5% to 5%.

Message 2 of 4
Birdie82
Valued Member

I feel relieved about that part because my payments will be going towards the principal instead of interest . 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess it depends on what your goal was.  If it was just to get a lower rate, you succeeded.  

I personally look at what gets me out of debt faster.  Does this new plan get me out of car debt sooner than the old plan?   In your shoes and given the limited info I have, this would likely have motivated me to pay extra on principal to get from underneath that car loan as quickly as possible.   I would not have taken on significantly more debt just to get a lower rate and put the loan even more upside down.

At this point just focus on paying the loan off as fast as you can or to at least get right side up on it.  

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.