Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did your credit drop or go up after paying car off

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Did your credit drop or go up after paying car off

Oh ok. The original loan was between 15k and 17k cant remember exactly and then the remainder was a little over 3k that I paid a few days ago. So that I could bring title to a different state to trade vehicle in. Guess I should've just rolled the loan over...
Message 11 of 18
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Not knowing all the details. Sounds like you got a good truck. So thats all that matters.
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

If you don't have any other installment loans, it'll drop because you don't have an optimal credit mix.

But what about if he had a PLOC with say 10k line and 0 bal ?? Is that considered an installment loan

Message 13 of 18
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

If you don't have any other installment loans, it'll drop because you don't have an optimal credit mix.

But what about if he had a PLOC with say 10k line and 0 bal ?? Is that considered an installment loan

PLOC is considered a revolver. If you pull your own report, your PenFed PLOC should show revolving, depending on the credit monitoring service.

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just paid off my vehicle this past month so can add another data point. It was a $17k payoff, original loan was $20k. Only had vehicle about a year, still had 4 left to go on loan. But decided wasn't going to do the car payment thing anymore. Paid it off, sold it soon as the lien was released, bought an older cheaper car with cash. Not really relevant to this thread, but getting rid of that $350/mo payment feels great!

It just updated on reports and scores dropped about 10 points from 810-820 to 800-810. Other accounts are a mortgage (owe $135k, original loan $145k) and 3 CCs (one only used once a year and PIF to keep it open, my main is PIF each month, other is used for few things and allow to report balance).
Message 15 of 18
rockstar53
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:
Oh ok. The original loan was between 15k and 17k cant remember exactly and then the remainder was a little over 3k that I paid a few days ago. So that I could bring title to a different state to trade vehicle in. Guess I should've just rolled the loan over...

@Frut, curious to see if your reports updated yet with your loan paid off? The only other thing I would have advised if you are trying to get a Mortgage were you trying to conventional or FHA? With a thin file you may have limited options and I would have talked to a mortgage broker or professional who could advise if paying off loan before applying would hurt your chances for either type of loan since you don't have much else on you profile. Good luck

Starting Score: 536
Current Scores EQ/TU/EX Fico8: 791/792/792
Current Scores EQ/TU/EX Fico9: 790/767/793
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Amazon Prime (10K); Apple Card (16.5K); BOFA Cash Rewards (40K); BMW Card (17.5K); Chase Amazon (37.2K); Chase SW Priority (23K); Citi Advantage (32.2K); Discount Tire (10K); Discover (28K); DCU (20K); Ebay MC (10K); HSBC Premier (27K); HSBC Premier Elite (29K); Huntington Voice Rewards (5.7K); Huntington Voice (13.7K); Macys Amex (25K); Navy Fed More Rewards (21K); Navy Fed Flagship (46.1K); Navy Fed Platinum (12.9K); Pen Fed Gold (17.5K); Pen Fed Power Cash Rewards (25K); PNC Cash Rewards (10K); PNC Core (2.5K); Signature FCU (20K); Truist x2 (7.5K); WF Reflect (16.3K)
Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi.
Yes. My score updated a couple times. It went up to 800/801/815. That was before my auto loan pay off showed. Then it went to 800/771/775. That's where it's at right now. Still shopping around for both but have not found one that I must have just yet. Winters coming so hopefully soon on the truck!
Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a pretty extensive report and my score drops initially every time I pay an auto loan off.
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.