Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I Qualify for PenFed or Navy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do I Qualify for PenFed or Navy

@Anonymous wrote:

Off topic a bit here - will this be your first Audi? If so, you're in for a treat Smiley Happy If not, then you already know that. I got my first one (99 A4) in 2006 and have loved the brand since. I picked up a 2017 A6 last year and it's a terrific car. I've driven the 8 as well and it's an amazing car. Just be proactive with your maintenance and don't let things go. My cost of ownership is a lot lower than many because I turn all my own wrenches, but if you don't do that, it can get costly when you're out of warranty. Identifying an independent Euro shop in your area can be a godsend. 

Please post up (with pics!) once you get it Smiley Happy

Unfortunately the A8 I want is gone but I'm still on the hunt. I'm not a gear head, brakes & oil, all you get out of me but I'm coming from a BMW 7 series and I have a great shop that has been handling my cars for years. As much as we work on our credit I think people should work on their relationship with a good mechanic it can save you just as much cash as a rewards card.  

Thanks for the insider info, soon as I get those 4 Rings it will be posted in Auto Approvals.

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol if you came from a BMW then you'll probably be very happy with Audi ownership. I had a 540i MSport for a few years that was tremendous fun for the 45 minutes a month it didn't have problems. Even doing my own work I spent close to $5000 in three years fixing ridiculous problems. My Audis have been as reliable as Hondas compared to that thing...

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Lol if you came from a BMW then you'll probably be very happy with Audi ownership. I had a 540i MSport for a few years that was tremendous fun for the 45 minutes a month it didn't have problems. Even doing my own work I spent close to $5000 in three years fixing ridiculous problems. My Audis have been as reliable as Hondas compared to that thing...

MAN LISTEN!!! You feel my pain lol. I was, still am at heart, a Lexus guy in 15 years of ownership I only had to change the water pump on my very 1st GS other than that bulletproof. I  switched to a 750Li Xdrive with the notorious N93 engine, let's just say I bring the guys at the loaner counter doughnuts 🥴🥴🤣🤣

I'm looking forward to the Audi experience, glad to hear yours have been reliable.

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

At least you didn't buy a 745 or any other model with the 4.5L engine. I heard horror stories so many times on that thing, like needing rings at 70k miles, being out of warranty, and facing a $12,000 out of pocket rebuild of the engine. We were both lucky to have had cars that weren't as bad as that but still, no excuse when the cars cost as much as they did. I definitely felt your pain.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used to work at a BMW dealership.  The older 4.5 V-8 (and probably the 5.0 V-8) engines need valve guides when they get older or they burn oil and make blue smoke, and the job is $5,000 or more.  It's enough to total out a lot of older 5, 6 and 7-series cars that need the work done.  A few owners bought them new, love the cars and elect to do the work, though the value of the car is often less than $5,000 at that point.  They just want to stick with what they know and keep their high-end BMW.  Compared to the cost of a new one I suppose that makes sense.

The BMW Master Technician mechanics (many of which I am friends with and in regular touch today) HATE the BMW V8s, even the latest ones, and tell people to stay away from them.  The current 2.0 4-cylinder is starting to show a lot of problems with fuel injectors and timing chains. The mechanics always said to get an inline 6-cylinder BMW if you can.  They still seem to be doing that one right, it has been their bread and butter for decades.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.