Previous Loan Experience: none

Debt-to-Income (DTI): 24.8%

Year of Car: 2009

Miles: 89k

Purchase/Refinance: Purchase

Requested loan term (XX Months): 48

Down payment amount: 2k

Co-borrower/Co-Signer: none

Other: denied by penfed reasons were income insufficient for amount requested (6.2k) and limited credit experience, did not counter simply asked if I had a cosigner.
14 REPLIES 14
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: Penfed Auto Loan Denied

Check Cap One Prequal?

I am not a fan of PenFed.

Navy Fed?

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 1 of 15
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Do I qualify for an auto loan?

How much is the car you want? More than likely, it took you over the acceptable DTI which is why penfed denied you and asked for a cosigner. If the financed amount takes your DTI to around or above 35%, you're gonna have a tough time without more money down or a cosigner.

Message 3 of 15
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

If your only negative is $180, I would get rid of that first.

Check Cap One.

BTW, the car is 10 years old, that is not going to help the situation.

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amount financed was only $6,200, also planning on getting that taken care of soon, I will pay that and chat with capital one I already have a card with them.
Message 5 of 15
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

I’m going to swim against the current here lol. I’m not saying this is the best situation in the world, but it’s my personal experience. I once got a loan-without a cosigner- for an 11 year old car that cost 10k. My interest rate wasn’t terrible at 5.49. The income I listed was 17k. My DTI ratio was pretty low, to be fair, but what I’m saying is that just about anyone can get approved for a car loan. The terms and interest may not be good though. And before everyone comes down on me, of course I understand that just because one CAN get a loan doesn’t mean one SHOULD. Just my experience. Carry on.
Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I just applied to the capital one pre qualify auto navigator thing and it failed :/
Message 7 of 15
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So I just applied to the capital one pre qualify auto navigator thing and it failed :/

I didn’t qualify for anything through that tool either when I bought the aforementioned car. Don’t get discouraged. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

The easiest way for someone in your situation to get an older car financed is to finance where you are buying the car. Most outside finance companies will have a hard cap of 10 years on the car age. (Are you buying from a private seller?)

You can check these other places https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/loans/best-car-loans-for-good-fair-and-bad-credit

Message 9 of 15
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@pinkandgrey wrote:
I’m going to swim against the current here lol. I’m not saying this is the best situation in the world, but it’s my personal experience. I once got a loan-without a cosigner- for an 11 year old car that cost 10k. My interest rate wasn’t terrible at 5.49. The income I listed was 17k. My DTI ratio was pretty low, to be fair, but what I’m saying is that just about anyone can get approved for a car loan. The terms and interest may not be good though. And before everyone comes down on me, of course I understand that just because one CAN get a loan doesn’t mean one SHOULD. Just my experience. Carry on.

You're completely right, anyone can be financed. Toyota prides themselves on being able to finance anyone in house. You might not like what's offered, but it can be done.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.