cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do dealers really do this??? Or was i lied to?

tag
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Re:

Prestige does in fact dealerships origination or buy fees.  Most auto lenders do not operate like that but it is common in the subprime world.  The dealership is adding the fee onto the car price.  

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes Cap One will let you roll all that into the loan
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately there is some truth to what the dealer told you, Subprime lender's are notorious for charging "acquisition fee's" and they can often be very expensive. Some lender's have Aq fee's that are set amounts depending on tier (ie tier 1- $300 fee, Tier 5- $1,000 fee), other lender's have their acquisition fee's set up as a discount percentage of the amount financed based on tier (ie a low scoring tier may be a 20% discount fee).

This is tyipically only encountered in sub-prime financing, although alot of captive lender's do have small aq fee's like Well's fargo may charge $79-$599 depending on tier.

I have personally seen fee's as high as $4000 dollar's.

The way it works is let's say Santander approves someone on a vehicle for $10,000 with a 15% aq fee, they will disburse $8500 to the dealer's bank account when the loan fund's. The customer finances the full $10,000, and will have to repay the full amount even though the lender really only bought the contract for $8500.

As far as "lead fee's" I know Capital One doesn't charge these fee's to dealer's, I am unfamiliar with Prestige though so I can not answer that.

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys, we ended up going elsewhere and getting a better car for the same price after i prequalled with capital one. That dealership said cap 1 was requiring 2k down (it didnt say that anywhere) then proceeded to run my credit with 2 other places. Kinda pissed my hubby and i have 2 hard pulls we didnt need or ask for. Called capital one and found the car company was full of BS, called them out, and after much back and forth with them trying to mess with the numbers to make more... we got what we asked for.

Glad that is over. I hope to never have to mess with a dealership again. Its been ridiculous!

Be careful though if they say your prequal terms are different than you thought, it was EXACTLY what I thought they were, they just were trying to mess with the deal to make more.
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.