cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you guys really call and ask the finance guy what credit score models they use?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you guys really call and ask the finance guy what credit score models they use?

I would think you cant just call them up and ask. Have you guys done this? What's your thoughts on this?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Do you guys really call and ask the finance guy what credit score models they use?

Yes, you can call and ask. I usually tell them I have all reports locked and would like to know which to unlock for the app (which is true). Sometimes they know and sometimes the have no clue, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do you guys really call and ask the finance guy what credit score models they use?

I would tell the salesman I wanted to talk to the finance manager when I was at the dealership. I learned from a very nice financial manager that they used a credit union next door. I then went and talked to their fiance manager. I ended up using Capital Ones auto navigator but 30 days later I refinanced with the credit union for an awesome rate because I knew what FICO score model they used. So ask away, it pays off in the long run.
Message 3 of 6
MitchDeerfield
Regular Contributor

I doubt if they would tell you on the phone.  Maybe if you have agreed to buy a car and signed a sales order they would.  But not on the phone.  You can get your TU FICO SCORE 8 for free on your monthly Discover Credit Card statement.  FICO 8 is the most used credit score for mortgages and car loans.

Message 4 of 6
Glen_M
Frequent Contributor

@MitchDeerfield wrote:

...  FICO 8 is the most used credit score for mortgages and car loans.

No, it isn't.  Not even close.  There are auto specific scores in the new models (FICO Auto Score 8, FICO Auto Score 9), and mortgages nearly always use older models (5,4,2).

Message 5 of 6
MitchDeerfield
Regular Contributor

They say you are wrong, but you can argue it out with them.  Have a nice day.

There are multiple versions of the FICO® credit-scoring model, and each is based on a unique formula. The most widely used is FICO® Score 8, which is generally consistent with previous versions but differs in several key ways.

Though FICO® Score 9 debuted in 2014, many lenders still rely on FICO® Score 8 when making lending decisions. That’s why it’s important to know what goes into the FICO® Score 8 credit-scoring model.

https://www.valuepenguin.com/fico-models-explained

https://www.creditkarma.com/advice/i/what-fico-score-8/

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.