Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Down Payment on Credit Card?

tag
Gladius
Frequent Contributor

Down Payment on Credit Card?

I want to put a $5k down payment on a credit card.  It will be for a Subaru and I plan on paying it off in a few months (I want to keep my cash reserves where they are at the moment...please don't judge me).  Waiting for the salesperson to get into work this afternoon to sign the papers.  Does anyone have any luck doing this?  I have heard it shouldn't be a problem and it will just cost an extra $100 or so for the "transaction fee".

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Down Payment on Credit Card?

Most dealers cap at about $3500

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would say it varies by dealer. I bought a car two years ago with a $3,000 down payment. They'd only let me put $1,000 on a credit card. But in August I bought a new truck and they let me put the entire $15,000 down payment on a credit card.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just bought one last month with $3,000 on a credit card no problem but totally depends on the dealer.  

Message 4 of 7
Gladius
Frequent Contributor

So they only allowed $3k on the CC.  I just paid the difference cash.  Oh well.

Message 5 of 7
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

The dealers can do more, they just choose not to because of the swipe fees. And, I just noticed they charged you a transaction fee. If you live in one of the 10 states that forbid surcharges on credit card transactions, what they did was illegal.

Message 6 of 7
Gladius
Frequent Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

The dealers can do more, they just choose not to because of the swipe fees. And, I just noticed they charged you a transaction fee. If you live in one of the 10 states that forbid surcharges on credit card transactions, what they did was illegal.

They didn't charge me a fee.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.