cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit-Need help w Ally lease...purchase,now its different?

tag
s_rob7488
Regular Contributor

Edit-Need help w Ally lease...purchase,now its different?

I am looking to lease a 2012/2013 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4. I currently have a lease on a 2012 that is co-signed. My credit at the time was not up to par and thanks to the co-sign I am in much better credit condition than that point. There are 2 dealerships locally that I am trying to work with. One being a little ways out of town and havent made it up there but have looked online and they have significantly better deals that the local Jeep dealership here. My biggest question is to my understanding, I can't go get preapproved for a leave through a bank such as USAA can I? (I have a preapproved offer for loan up to $50,000). I am not sure since this will be my first time trying to do this on my own as to how I should approach it. The larger dealership thats out of town has leases stated at $209/month with $3000 down (I am waiting to hear back from them as to what the offers would be for the specific model that I want) and the dealership here wants $349/month with $3000 down also which is with the model that I am interested in. I am wanting to get the Jeep by the end of the month if I can get it worked out as it is a birthday present to my wife. Really wanting to know what the best wa to approach the dealership is so I can make sure I get the best deal with the least amount down. Also, for what its worth I plan to lease then buy...not sure if that makes a difference or not. 

****EDIT****

Hopefully I am allowed to edit my post like this...if not let me know

Ok, So my DW and I were good to go on a lease for a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee and signed papers going through US Bank and the finance guy at the dealership said we may have to come back to resign papers becuase sometimes US Bank is more strick with writing the lease. Ok, I am fine with that.....got the Jeep on the 6th. Now, the 12th I had to go back to the dealership after the finance guy called me yesterday to tell me that US Bank didnt buy the lease and he had to submit it with Ally and that they took it so I just had to come resign and provide a copy of our marriage license since all of my DWs credit is in her maiden name. When we get back and I am looking over the lease I notice that the payment went from 411.2 to 411.80-not a big difference-but the purchase price at the end of the lease went from 20425 to 23027. How, I say HOW does the purchase price go up $2552 from the US Bank lease???? I am not happy and was already not impressed with the dealerships salesman and guy he kept going to to "get the numbers." If anyone could shed a light I would appreciate it. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Looking into a lease, few questions

If you are planning on buying out the lease, why not go ahead and just purchase the vehicle now since you have preapproval for financing, and assuming that your DTI is ok.   Why do you want to lease the vehicle now, is it just to lower your payments initially ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 10
s_rob7488
Regular Contributor

Re: Looking into a lease, few questions

Lower payment somewhat and bumper to bumper coverage for 39 months then the additional coverage for 5years/100,000 miles.
Message 3 of 10
s_rob7488
Regular Contributor

Re: Edit-Need help w Ally lease...purchase,now its different?

Could anyone help with this?

Message 4 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Did you agree to the price increase (e.g. re-sign the agreement)? Were you planning to buy the vehicle at the end of the term anyway?

Message 5 of 10
s_rob7488
Regular Contributor

Planning to buy it yes and did sign both us bank and ally agreement
Message 6 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

How long is the lease term? 39 months?

Message 7 of 10
s_rob7488
Regular Contributor

Yes.
Message 8 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

As to the buyout, I suspect the latter prevails. There should be language in your new lease agreement that says it superceeds all other lease agreements, especially since the first was with US Bank and they said no. The first agreement would have immediately have been void. As to the price increase, I dunno. Maybe looking to make an extra buck? Price was good for a finite time and that expired? If the higher price was agreed to I don't think there's too much you can do. Personally, if I had that from this point onward, I would return the car at the end of the lease. The lease amount and purchase price is way higher than the value of the car. You're paying over $39k for a car worth $10k less, and that's excluding any pre-payments, incentives, etc. At the end of 39 months, it still wouldn't be worth the $20k+ they are asking for.

Message 9 of 10
s_rob7488
Regular Contributor

Well they do want $23000 now for the buyout and it was $20425. That's the only difference between the two lease agreements. I called the dealership and told them if I can't get the same residual that I am bringing it back to get it from someone else which I really don't want to have to do since my credits already been pulled at least 5 times. They said they couldn't change the residual but could give me free oil changes for the lease term 39 months.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.