Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future Auto Refinance (Planning Ahead)

tag
TheFate
Established Contributor

Future Auto Refinance (Planning Ahead)

Just planning ahead and was wondering what your take was since I've heard several different opinions on Refinancing Auto Loans.

My current loan:

2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus (New)

Financed: $36,119.62

Term: 75 Months

APR: 3.34%

Payments: $534.28

Total Interest: $3,951.12

Payoff date: Feb 16, 2021

My plan is simple.. Tell me if this makes sense, Pay $150 extra each payment for a year and 7 months. By this time I'll have already paid $1,627.86 in interest and I'll refinance thru DCU with a balance of 24,746.23 at 1.49% which will look something like this:

Financed: $24,746.23

Term: 60 (Since I doubt they will finance me with 56 months)

APR: 1.49%

Payments: $428.25

Total Interest: $948.59

Payoff Date: June, 16, 2021

So just by the refi alone I'll be dropping my payment 106.03 a month and saving $1,374.67 in interest charges. Now the loan would stretch out 4 months longer than the orginal, but by dropping the payment I'd be able to pay more towards the principle to cut down the loan faster which would look something like this:

Financed: $24,746.23

Term: 60 Months

APR: 1.49%

Payments: 628.25 ($200 extra)

Total Interest: $641.48

Payoff Date: November 16, 2019

By paying the additional $200 to the principle i'll be saving a total of $1,681.78 and cutting down the loan a total of 15 months from the orginal making it a 5 year loan total vs a 6 year and 3 month one.

So punching the numbers in obviously makes sense, but my question is it really that easy? Is there any fine print or 'catch' if you will I'm missing like Refinance fees etc...?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
dchelito_19

Re: Future Auto Refinance (Planning Ahead)

Pretty much u summed it all up... looks good to me...
Message 2 of 9
Hoya08
Regular Contributor

Numbers look right on. 

1.  Make sure your extra payments are going to principal.

2.  And, there's usually a "grace" period before the 1st payment is due.  This will throw off your numbers by a few dollars. 

Message 3 of 9
TheFate
Established Contributor

@Hoya08 wrote:

Numbers look right on. 

1.  Make sure your extra payments are going to principal.

2.  And, there's usually a "grace" period before the 1st payment is due.  This will throw off your numbers by a few dollars. 

Thanks,

I was told by the Finance Manager at Dodge ANY dollar over your payment goes directly towards principle, so no need to mention.

Either way I'm going to verify that after I get my first set of papers from the Lender. If not I'll be sure to send a seperate check and marked "Principle ONLY"

How long is the grace period again? It's been awhile since my last car purchase

Message 4 of 9
Hoya08
Regular Contributor

The "grace" period is a misnomer.

It's a grace period as in a payment may not be due within 30-days of loan dispersement.  However, interest still accrues during the entire "grace" period.

For example, my most recent loan was dispersed around 20 Oct, but my first payment isn't due until 17 Dec!  I have an almost 60-day "grace" period, but interest is accruing the entire time!

Message 5 of 9
TheFate
Established Contributor

@Hoya08 wrote:

The "grace" period is a misnomer.

It's a grace period as in a payment may not be due within 30-days of loan dispersement.  However, interest still accrues during the entire "grace" period.

For example, my most recent loan was dispersed around 20 Oct, but my first payment isn't due until 17 Dec!  I have an almost 60-day "grace" period, but interest is accruing the entire time!

If that's the case why not just pay anyways?

I bought the car Nov 16th and I'll be sure to pay Dec 16th regardless what the bill says to make sure I stay on track

Message 6 of 9
Dj4Money
Established Contributor

Looks good to me. I am actually considering adding a car to my tradelines since I need one anyway.

Message 7 of 9
Hoya08
Regular Contributor

@TheFate wrote:

I bought the car Nov 16th and I'll be sure to pay Dec 16th regardless what the bill says to make sure I stay on track

Some folks like the idea of not having a car payment for another 30-60 days. 

If funds aren't an issue, definitely start paying.  If it is, another 30-60 days isn't detrimental as long as the interest rate is reasonable.

Message 8 of 9
TheFate
Established Contributor

@Dj4Money wrote:

Looks good to me. I am actually considering adding a car to my tradelines since I need one anyway.

Thanks, Go for it!

@Hoya08 wrote:

@TheFate wrote:

Some folks like the idea of not having a car payment for another 30-60 days. 

If funds aren't an issue, definitely start paying.  If it is, another 30-60 days isn't detrimental as long as the interest rate is reasonable.

Makes sense

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.