Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a car loan online questions??

tag
jbradey
Valued Member

Getting a car loan online questions??

Ok i just signed up for DCU im waiting for them to email me back to approve me of the checking/savings account, i alreaady sent my DL an proof of residence.

The car i want is $22,950 without any taxes an fees ect. when i apply for the loan do i just apply for that amount? How does this actually work? Do i call the dealer an ask for the total price? I have never done this online before

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
aubie1kenobie2
Frequent Contributor

Re: Getting a car loan online questions??

@jbradey wrote:

Ok i just signed up for DCU im waiting for them to email me back to approve me of the checking/savings account, i alreaady sent my DL an proof of residence.

The car i want is $22,950 without any taxes an fees ect. when i apply for the loan do i just apply for that amount? How does this actually work? Do i call the dealer an ask for the total price? I have never done this online before

Good luck with DCU! In my case, they approved me for 125% of the loan amount I asked for but I made sure I did not go above my budget so actually did not avail of the 125%. You can apply for the price out the door if you don't have any money to put down or vehicle to trade in. The approval would of course depend on your income and credit history. There's a sticky on top of the forum topics for auto loans on how to buy a car and talks about emailing the dealer instead of calling. What I did was email the dealer, and spoke to them over the phone for a couple of times before I walked in and test drove the car. Also looked at 4-5 cars from different dealerships before deciding. Usually you can negotiate the price further (esp in my case since I bought a used car) but in my experience they usually want you to look at the car first, and my priority at that point would be to find something wrong with it, so I can haggle the price, lol.

Starting Score: No credit history in July 2013, 663 in August (lender pulled)
Current Score: 773 (Discover FICO), 749 (DCU EQ)
Ultimate goal: Buy a house in 2016!
Message 2 of 3
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Re: Getting a car loan online questions??

I'd ask DCU for 25k in your case. as long as your income is sufficient, it'll give you enough breathing room.

BTW, looks to me like you may not have bargained the car down. Never accept the dealer's posted price. There are some tips here on bargaining in the intro + financing section:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Auto-Loans/Guide-to-Financing-Leasing-and-Refinancing-a-Car/td-p/289...

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.