Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting out of a lease

tag
bhenken08
Valued Member

Getting out of a lease

I know getting out of a lease is not cheap and will ruin my credit if i give the car back.

I just leased a 2014 FRS a few months back and.................now have a child on the way. So a two door sports car doesnt really fit the bill. Has anyone heard of any programs where i can turn in the FRS and get a sedan instead?

Starting Score: 547
Current Score: 620
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
coterotie
Established Contributor

Re: Getting out of a lease

There is a lease swap web site where you can accomplish this.  However, you will have to do your own due diligence.  Early lease termination is very expensive.  How long is the lease?  If 24 or 36 months and the passenger seat has an airbag off switch you could make do.  With a 24 month lease you will be half way through the lease before the baby gets here.  GIven how expensive baby start up costs are, the last thing you want to do is be in another hole because of the car.

@bhenken08 wrote:

I know getting out of a lease is not cheap and will ruin my credit if i give the car back.

I just leased a 2014 FRS a few months back and.................now have a child on the way. So a two door sports car doesnt really fit the bill. Has anyone heard of any programs where i can turn in the FRS and get a sedan instead?

Message 2 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@bhenken08 wrote:

Do you only have one vehicle in your family? Is this the vehicle?

Or do you have two vehicles...one for you and one for your significant other?

Is the second vehicle baby appropriate?

I am asking these questions because getting out of a lease is much more expensive than getting out of a financed vehicle. Be very careful with the lease swap sites out there - quite a few are scams. They purport to take over your lease payments and may actually make a payment or two and then dissappear with your vehicle and no further payments are made - it trashes your credit. Do your due diligence.

Message 3 of 7
Remember0
Valued Contributor

You can trade in a lease just like a regular car at like Carmax, etc. Let's start with some basics:

KBB Good condition Value of car?

Current Lease balance? (This should be online somewhere, you may have to call them and ask how much it would be if you wanted to buy the car today)

Message 4 of 7
CreditExpressNJ
Established Contributor

@Remember0 wrote:

You can trade in a lease just like a regular car at like Carmax, etc. Let's start with some basics:

KBB Good condition Value of car?

Current Lease balance? (This should be online somewhere, you may have to call them and ask how much it would be if you wanted to buy the car today)

I see were your going with this as i am in the same situation regarding my lease but its wont work i looked that route already i mean my car isnt an FRS but with leases the buyout amount tends to be higher than the actual amount anyone is willing to offer for the car to trade in .... So what happens is for you to trade a lease in and get in a financed vehicle you have to come  out of pocket with the residual/remainder of what they dont give you to bring you lease down to the amount they offer you... Which for ex my car 2013 Honda Accord .... Payout = 29000 , Value = 20000, dealer will give 21000 with bonus coupon .... = I need $8000 to pay onto my lease before i can trade it in...

CH7 Filed (3/29/17) - 483 EX 516 EQ 517 TU Discharged (5/31/17) - 559 EX 538 EQ 501 TU Current (1/18/22) - 690 EX 683 EQ 671 TU
Current Cards

Message 5 of 7
NotTellinYou
New Contributor

Go to the dealer and explain the situation and see about moving to a lease on a more appropriate vehicle.

goid luck.

Starting Score TU: 520
Current Score TU: 815. EX: 806. EQ: 819

Chase Freedom $20k, WellsFargo $12k, Barclay $5k, BCU $15k, Discover $5k, USAA $7k, Lowes $8k, Home Depot $10k, Citi $13k, Apple $15k, Credit One, $20k, NFCU, $25k, Arvest $35K
Message 6 of 7
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Yes, the upside down nature of leases is a problem. But it's helpful to see how much money you need to bring to the table hypothetically.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.