Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP TRYING TO GET A CAR WITH TU 542 EQUIFAX 566

tag
mikey_willorwile
Established Member

HELP TRYING TO GET A CAR WITH TU 542 EQUIFAX 566

Hi all i might not have a ll info needed but this just a few;

I am trying to purchase a used car for $13000 out the door..tax and title included

I am putting down $2000.

Credit Karma has my TU at 542 and Equifax 566.

Now no one wants to finance me the $11000.00

Am i asking for too much looking at my score?
Please advice

13 REPLIES 13
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: HELP TRYING TO GET A CAR WITH TU 542 EQUIFAX 566

First, you need to get your real FICO score to know where you stand (CK are vantage scores). That being said if your FICO scores are in the 500's it's going to be a challenge to get an $11k loan at a reasonable rate. You have 3 basic choices here: #1 buy a cheaper car, #2 work on your credit (see rebuilding forum) to get your scores into the 670+ range and #3 make a larger down payment say 20 to 25 percent. 

All three of these choices will get you a car loan but investing 4-6 months into improving your scores will see the best overall result as far as interest rate and terms.

There is a 4th choice, go you a buy here pay dear (here) used car lot where they will finance everyone but fair warning, the cars are overpriced, generally not the quality mechanically that you'd want and the interest rates will be very high - strongly advise against using a repo-lot car as an option. 

Message 2 of 14
mikey_willorwile
Established Member

Ok a couple of things;
1. Where can I get a reliable FICO score
2.I am now looking at a cheaper car preferably 10k so I put down 2k and finance 8k;
Also I don’t mind paying 17-20% APR but no luck on those; am a bit lost
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mikey_willorwile wrote:
Ok a couple of things;
1. Where can I get a reliable FICO score ...

If you have a dollar to spare, go here. Don't forget to cancel before the 7 day trial is up. Good luck.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try financing through a local credit union. You can get your scores through credit check total. Think it's $1 for a week long trial then just call to cancel. I would say also consider a cheap cash car like a Honda or Toyota. Lastly I urge you, DO NOT sign off on a loan where your paying 17-20% APR. Just read all the horror stories on here. That is the absolute worst thing you could do.
Message 5 of 14
mikey_willorwile
Established Member

So it turns out my FICO is a lot worse than I thought 478 for FICO
Is this the main reason am being denied?
Message 6 of 14
EW800
Valued Contributor

@mikey_willorwile wrote:
Also I don’t mind paying 17-20% APR but no luck on those; am a bit lost

Just throwing my two-cents out, however I think you should mind.  At that interest rate, you are going to be paying dramatically more for the vehicle, very likely much more than it is worth.  I know sometimes we have to do what we have to do depending on circumstances, however I would do everything possible to avoid an auto loan in that range.  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2023: EX8: 840; EQ8: 832; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $48.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $22.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $21K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $296K
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $10 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 7 of 14
EW800
Valued Contributor

@mikey_willorwile wrote:

I would say that it likely is.  At 478, you would probably have to go talk to Guido The Loan Shark, who will not present favorable terms.  Smiley Sad

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $48.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $22.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $21K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $296K
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $10 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 8 of 14
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@mikey_willorwile wrote:

Yes I would think so.

I don't think you will find a lender to fund a loan with your scoreSmiley Sad

I would suggest buying a used and inexpensive vehicle and work on your credit. If you post your credit profile and what your negatives are, people will be able to help you with your reports.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 9 of 14
EW800
Valued Contributor

I agree with jnbmom.  Head over to the Rebuilding Your Credit area and post as much about your profile as you can and you will likely get some very good advice, from some excellent contributors.  Everyone there is non-judgemental and in many cases, been through the same thing (including myself...), with some excellent advice.  If you spend a few days reading many of the threads, you will gain a ton of knowledge about how to raise your scores.  Some elements will take quite a bit of time, however there are often elements that can make some quick score improvements.    

Best wishes! 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.