cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anybody gotten a auto loan with collections on their account (over 4 years old) ??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anybody gotten a auto loan with collections on their account (over 4 years old) ??

Hi! I am looking to purchase a used Jeep in a few months. I am self-employed and make $1600-1800 a month. My credit score is 614 and hopefully will rise to 620 by October when I hopefully will qualify for a loan.

When I was 18 I was dumb and got evicted from an apartment (2,000 dollar collection) and Opened/ maxed out 2 credit cards: bank of america $1,042 and a collection agency now that I owe $982 for. HOWEVER, I have been paying my student loans on time for the past year and havent touched or been reported on any of the defaulted accounts for 3+ years. MY current debt to income ratio is "good"

SO...My question is, what are my chances of getting a 15,000 dollar car loan with a 620 score and my credit report as is. Would I be better off making payments on the account before I go for the loan OR should I let them be and move on with my life and *hopefully* get approved for the loan in October. Have any of you done more with less?!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: Has anybody gotten a auto loan with collections on their account (over 4 years old) ??

IME, the auto finance people at the dealership will find a bank to approve you no matter what your credit is.  Your interest rates will be awful though.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 3
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Has anybody gotten a auto loan with collections on their account (over 4 years old) ??

@DaveSignal wrote:

IME, the auto finance people at the dealership will find a bank to approve you no matter what your credit is.  Your interest rates will be awful though.

+1.  A collection is not the end of the world, but it will ultimately come down to your FICO score ( possibly auto enhanced ), how much you can put down, whether you have previous auto loans,etc...

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.