cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with bad loan. Bait and Switch??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help with bad loan. Bait and Switch??

Well I hope you got a 6.4 and not a 5.7, that apr is horrendous and you could always refinance later. The 392 and all those ponies would ease the pain everytime you hit the pedal. Either way there is no way you win in this deal, you will lose more money no matter what you do. If I were you I'd consider it a really expensive mistake where you will spend the next few years learning to read paperwork before you sign every single time. 

Message 11 of 13
trusty
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Got a consultation from a consumer law attorney today.  Not sure if things just went from bad to worse Smiley Sad

I'd have a much stronger case with only the first set of paperwork, but because I signed papers a 2nd time there isn't a lot I can do. The dealer was misleading but proving fraud in court is going to be hard because they didn't do anything illegal.  The attorney said it will cost between $5k-15k to take the case to court depending on how hard the dealership fights it and it's mostly going to be their word against mine. They will likely try to stall the case because the loan has been accepted by Toyota Motor Credit and the first payment is due on 12/25. If I make the first payment that makes things worse because now I'm acknowledging the debt and loan terms. If I don't pay, then I default on the loan.

They will claim the first set of paperwork is in error and the loan terms were still subject to approval because they were signed at 8PM. They will say they notified me on Friday (11/3) and will also say they told me the new loan terms and I agreed to them showing the re-signed paperwork as proof. Even stronger evidence for their side since ALL the paperwork has matching dates for 11/10. They will say I had every opportunity to read what I was signing and ask questions for the 2nd set.  They will bring in the F&I guy and the salesman to try and discredit me. The salesman will obviously go along with them because his job will be on the line. Because I didn't re-sign the paperwork until 11/10 they could even try to say I told them I was going to think it over and they were nice enough to give me a extra week with the car to think about it.

If I do manage to win the case they will take the car back and then sue me in small claims court for damages.

The only other thing I can do is file a compliant with the FTC and the district attorney and they'll just put it in a database for future reference.

It looks like no matter what I do, I'm going to have to pay money to get out of this deal Smiley Sad

Those seem like worse case scenarios. I would first endeavor to try other remedies.

Didn't you state that they had you use an electronic signing pad, essentially blindfolding you, and then never presenting to you the altered documents?

Those facts do matter, here. Since you have now realized that they did in fact have you sign fraudulently... than, I would file a police report stating that you never agreed to those terms, and that your signature was improperly attached to the wrong documents.

I would not necessarily show the police the original document, as the police report is just to address the fraud... so that you can forward a copy to the credit bureaus, to remove the fraud. The police probably neither have the time nor the inclination to adjudicate which document is more correct, or even investigate.

So, I would just state in the police report that some unnamed person at the dealership committed fraud against you. (Which you already know they did)

I would also consider calling Toyota Corporate and asking for the Fraud Department, and report that the dealership fraudulently attached your signature to the wrong documents. Then, they may facilitate returning the car.

Otherwise, go forward with the police report. I would definitely also contact the State Attorney, as well. The BBB. The News, Social Media, etc.

You've flat out been done wrong. Use your high ground. Right is right.

Message 12 of 13
trusty
Frequent Contributor

Think of it this way. 

If you had gone in to buy the car with cash; and while you were signing, someone representing the dealer picked up your wallet at took out several thousand dollars of cash, over and above the agreed upon amount... that's called stealing.

If someone pick pockets your wallet... you file a police report.

What happened to you is really no different than that.

In this case, since the thief represents a large corporation, that corporation has a lot to lose (more than just the contract) from this kind of fraudulent behavior.

Also, since you have copies of both contracts... you have a great deal of plausibility when you report this to Toyota Corporate. It doesn't make sense to knowingly renegotiate the price of a car to pay thousands more, after the fact.

Changing loan terms is something that happens all the time, while dealers are shopping loans. But changing the price, by several thousand dollars, after the fact, is wholly bogus... and Toyota Corporate should be able to see that. - This type of thing has certainly been perpetrated on others before you.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.