Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with qualifying for Truck loan

tag
Paj315
Established Member

Help with qualifying for Truck loan

Hey everybody! This place is such a wealth of knowledge!! I’m so glad I found this forum, it’s helped my husband and I tremendously!!!
Here’s where we are:
Him
Experian- 669
One auto loan with about 11 months left to pay (this will be a trade in) - 3- 30day lates in 2015
Mortgage payment $1036- no lates
2 credit cards (opened 5/19) one balance reported of $22 the other $0 balance - never late on either
No collections
Transunion- no score available
2 credit cards (opened 5/19) one balance reported of $22 the other $0 balance - never late on either
One paid closed medical collection

Equifax 749
No negatives at all
One auto loan with about 11 months left to pay (this will be a trade in) - no lates reported
No collections
His Income $53,000/year

My credit
I have no scores at all
Completely clean reports no collections no lates
3 credit cards doing AZEO dates opened are 4-19, 5-19 & 5-19
Self lender loan- 5-19 no lates
Income $58,000/year

We are looking at a used 2016 Chevy Silverado 2500hd diesel with 50,000 miles, asking price $44,999
We have approx $3500 equity in our trade

We did the preapproval for capital one auto finance and they’re giving us an interest rate of over 8%.

What’s the likely hood of walking Into the dealer and getting a better deal, given our specifics?
I know the income is there, it’s just the other factors.
10 REPLIES 10
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Re: Help with qualifying for Truck loan

I would say to do NEW and see if you can qualify for the 0% if they have it locally to you sorry I don't know where you are but Chevy is offering certain specials (I do work for a dealership) and to be honest going through GM for certain low percentage or going through a CU is your best option to hit that lower Apr!!!       to be at 650 is already great most customers that qualify for where I work are lower to middle 500s for apr around 10 or a little under so you would be over that and a lot less ((Hopefully they are offering 0% where you are!)   Smiley Happy    Good luck to you both!!!    If you just really want the preowned (preowned typically comes with Higher apr just fyi) then I would say ask your CU to see what interest they would offer you.    

Message 2 of 11
Paj315
Established Member

So do you think that it matters that me, the co-borrower has no actual credit score yet?
Message 3 of 11
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Depending on which dealer you go through they may have First time buyer Programs like we do to help with that specific concern.    Basically what they would do is put it under you and use him as the CoX that way it will help to build your credit as well and if they are also like us you can refinance to get him removed (if you want) in as little as a year is recommended but some people chose to in 6 months it just reflects on your credit better if you can wait the year.   Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 11
Paj315
Established Member

I’m in Indianapolis area if that matters.

I found a couple of new trucks in my area that cap one gives us a 5% interest rate on. We may head to the dealership with our preapproval and see if they can beat that with their financing.

I completely do not understand this auto financing. The truck we were really interested in is 2 years old and loaded, very low mileage for $48,000. Cap one won’t pre-approve us for it even with $3500 down BUT they will approve us for $52,000 on a brand new lesser option 2020 truck for a better interest rate obvs.
Message 5 of 11
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@Paj315 wrote:
Hey everybody! This place is such a wealth of knowledge!! I’m so glad I found this forum, it’s helped my husband and I tremendously!!!
Here’s where we are:
Him
Experian- 669
One auto loan with about 11 months left to pay (this will be a trade in) - 3- 30day lates in 2015
No collections
Transunion- no score available
One paid closed medical collection

Equifax 749
No negatives at all
One auto loan with about 11 months left to pay (this will be a trade in) - no lates reported
No collections
His Income $53,000/year

My credit
I have no scores at all
Completely clean reports no collections no lates
3 credit cards doing AZEO dates opened are 4-19, 5-19 & 5-19
Self lender loan- 5-19 no lates
Income $58,000/year

We are looking at a used 2016 Chevy Silverado 2500hd diesel with 50,000 miles, asking price $44,999
We have approx $3500 equity in our trade

We did the preapproval for capital one auto finance and they’re giving us an interest rate of over 8%.

What’s the likely hood of walking Into the dealer and getting a better deal, given our specifics?
I know the income is there, it’s just the other factors.

With that high of an EQ score I would say either Penfed or DCU would give pretty good rates. You could try adding yourself to the application to help build your credit some more. But you are really close to the 6 month mark of your scores generating or depending on what state you live in checking your local CU and see what there requirements are. They most likely will give you a lower rate than Capital One did. 

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 59.9K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K,
Message 6 of 11
Paj315
Established Member

Thanks for the advice!! We were approved for a new 2019 2500 hd diesel Silverado completely loaded. We’re pretty excited about this!!!
Message 7 of 11
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

YES THAT IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!    Congrats!!!!!!!  <3

Message 8 of 11
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

To help understand vehicle financing a little better think of this with a preowned vehicle it typically has had a driver/owner it has typically more miles and less if any warranty so banks/lenders get scared if they will see all of their money back or most of their money back on one that is why it's easier to be approved for New since new usually comes with warranty as well as 0 miles and you are more likely to hold onto a new vehicle longer 'study shows' haha.  Smiley Happy     Hope that helps explain a little why New is usually easier and with a lower apr 9/10

Message 9 of 11
Paj315
Established Member

Thanks for the info!!

Just some further data for those interested.
Loan ended up being with Old National at a 5% interest rate. They pulled Equifax and listed my husband as primary buyer and me as co borrower. His score was 749 and mine was 0.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.