cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does one increase number on auto enhanced?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How does one increase number on auto enhanced?

My regular FICO goes up, but auto enhanced stays the same.  So, what does it take to get it to move?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How does one increase number on auto enhanced?

The auto=enhanced FICO is heavily weighted with informaion from your past auto accounts.  It scores you more strictly on that information, and more lightly on other information than regular FICO scoring models.

Credit card utilization, average age of account, credit card payment history, etc. - these things just don't weigh as heavily in the auto-enhanced model.

So actions you take to optimize your regular scores - cutting utilization, for example, or increasing available credti lines - do not help your auto-enhanced score.

If you have any past issues with auto loans - late payments, reposessions, default balances, collection activity, chargeoffs, etc - your auto-enhanced schore will suffer.

To improve it greatly, you'll need to deal with/eliminate these specific issues.  These issues will affect your auto-enhanced score whether you were the primary borrower or the cosigner for the loan with problems.

If you have never had an auto loan on your own before (had a cosigner), your auto-enhanced score will not be optimized.  Only way to fix this situation is to have a loan written in your name and reporting on your credit.

If you have never had an auto loan, period, same thing applies - your auto-enhanced score reflects the risk with a first-time buyer.  Only way to eliminate that is to have a loan written in your name.

If you have no experience with any sort of installment loan whatsoever - auto, mortgage, personal loan, student loan, whatever - then your auto-enhanced score, which considers installment accounts more heavily than revolving ones, will suffer for this also.  In this case, if you can arrange a small ($500) personal secured loan through a credit union, you might be able to add some points to your auto-enhanced FICO once the loan reports, and if it's small you can pay it down quickly so that it doesn't adversely affect your DTI.

Generally speaking, if your auto-enhanced FICO doesn't budge even when you're making strides on your regular scores (congrats on that, by the way), it means you have some negative reporting in your recently passed auto/installment history, or that you have never had any installment experience at all.  One is easy to fix, but the other will take a focused effort and possibly some cash (if you have out-standing balances on an old loan).

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great info, thanks!!  I sure appreciate you taking the time to give such a detailed reply!

It's been 3 years since I paid off my truck.  There were quite a few lates, but no repos and such.  

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great post hmw_75😃
I love it when ppl take the time and make the effort to fully answer the core of what a questioner is trying to get at.

And thanks to the OP for taking the time to Read and digest the well said information..... bravo
Message 4 of 6
surferchris
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The auto=enhanced FICO is heavily weighted with informaion from your past auto accounts.  It scores you more strictly on that information, and more lightly on other information than regular FICO scoring models.

Credit card utilization, average age of account, credit card payment history, etc. - these things just don't weigh as heavily in the auto-enhanced model.

So actions you take to optimize your regular scores - cutting utilization, for example, or increasing available credti lines - do not help your auto-enhanced score.

If you have any past issues with auto loans - late payments, reposessions, default balances, collection activity, chargeoffs, etc - your auto-enhanced schore will suffer.

To improve it greatly, you'll need to deal with/eliminate these specific issues.  These issues will affect your auto-enhanced score whether you were the primary borrower or the cosigner for the loan with problems.

If you have never had an auto loan on your own before (had a cosigner), your auto-enhanced score will not be optimized.  Only way to fix this situation is to have a loan written in your name and reporting on your credit.

If you have never had an auto loan, period, same thing applies - your auto-enhanced score reflects the risk with a first-time buyer.  Only way to eliminate that is to have a loan written in your name.

If you have no experience with any sort of installment loan whatsoever - auto, mortgage, personal loan, student loan, whatever - then your auto-enhanced score, which considers installment accounts more heavily than revolving ones, will suffer for this also.  In this case, if you can arrange a small ($500) personal secured loan through a credit union, you might be able to add some points to your auto-enhanced FICO once the loan reports, and if it's small you can pay it down quickly so that it doesn't adversely affect your DTI.

Generally speaking, if your auto-enhanced FICO doesn't budge even when you're making strides on your regular scores (congrats on that, by the way), it means you have some negative reporting in your recently passed auto/installment history, or that you have never had any installment experience at all.  One is easy to fix, but the other will take a focused effort and possibly some cash (if you have out-standing balances on an old loan).

Good information!

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

What I don't get about this scoring model, is that it's actually LOWER than my other scores (Using the 2,4,5 model), even though my auto loan history is squeaky clean. I have 2 past loans, a refi, and 2 current loans in my name (I'm the breadwinner), and none of it with negative reporting. 

Does anyone have insight into this? The 2,4,5 model just doesn't make sense. The 8 and 9 are good, but I haven't found anyone yet who uses those. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.