Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does paying off early impact Credit Score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How does paying off early impact Credit Score

The balance on my auto loan is almost at the end - I have $520 remaining and I have been paying $420 every month. My loan ends in July-2017 & I have 1.9% APR on the loan. I am planning to pay the last $420 and have the remaining $100 drag into 2017 before I pay off the loan. I recall from other posts that paying off auto loan would close the account & potentially bring down the credit score; so I am trying to figure out a good strategy to keep my credit score high for a mortgage I am planning in 2017. Any ideas out there?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: How does paying off early impact Credit Score

@Anonymous wrote:

The balance on my auto loan is almost at the end - I have $520 remaining and I have been paying $420 every month. My loan ends in July-2017 & I have 1.9% APR on the loan. I am planning to pay the last $420 and have the remaining $100 drag into 2017 before I pay off the loan. I recall from other posts that paying off auto loan would close the account & potentially bring down the credit score; so I am trying to figure out a good strategy to keep my credit score high for a mortgage I am planning in 2017. Any ideas out there?

Have you pulled your mortgage scores here yet? If not, then do so you know where you stand. Mortgage scores are not FICO 8 scores. Pulling the scores here is a consumer inq that is a SP, not a HP. That is a good thing. 

Your scores might be high enough to withstand a small point temporary decrease when you pay off your vehicle. On the other hand, you can get one of those small $500 Alliant loans that Revelate talks about to get your points back. Personally I think it is better to have the car loan paid off - you have enough time to recover your points before you apply for a mortgage. See the thread below by Revelate about installment tradelines:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Installment-tradeline-utilization-thread/td-p/4055989

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.