Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How far back does a car loan show?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How far back does a car loan show?

I got repo'd back in 1976, and bailed on a lemon in the middle '90's. Simply put, are auto loans ALWAYS there for lenders to see or find?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Jeff532003
Frequent Contributor

Re: How far back does a car loan show?

No. Negative information stays on your reports for 7 years plus 180 days. Positive trade lines will report for 10 years from the date the loan was closed/paid. You will be more than fine to apply and not worry about either of those past instances.
Capital One Venture- 10k, Quicksilver 3.5k, QS MC- 5.8 k, Venture One 5k| Chase Amazon 2k | American Express PRG- NPSL, JetBlue TrueBlue-2k | Bank of America Cash Rewards- 2k | DIscover IT- 1.3k | Barclay's Rewards MC- 1.3k | Greylock FCU (elan)- 500 | BJ's Perks Mastercard 3k | Overstock - 1k| Express - 750 | J Crew 4.3k | Orbitz Visa 2k| Walmart 700 |
TU FICO 5/14 - 520 | FICO 2/15 - 704 | FICO 6/21 - 702 |
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

TY Jeff, that's a relief!

Message 3 of 5
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I got repo'd back in 1976, and bailed on a lemon in the middle '90's. Simply put, are auto loans ALWAYS there for lenders to see or find?

Same with me. I blew a car off in 2004. but i know its not on my credit report. That was the last time I financed a car.

Message 4 of 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Jeff532003 wrote:
No. Negative information stays on your reports for 7 years plus 180 days. Positive trade lines will report for 10 years from the date the loan was closed/paid. You will be more than fine to apply and not worry about either of those past instances.

Not exactly. It depends on what type of negative it is.

For example late payments can report no longer than seven years from date of occurrence.

Collections and charge offs can report no longer than 7.5 years from the DoFD (Date of First Delinquency) on the OC (Original Creditor) account that led to the collection or CO.

Chapter 7 bankruptcies will report for 10 years.

There is no one set time frame for negatives to stop reporting.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.