Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much does a refinance drop your score

tag
Greenivy
New Contributor

How much does a refinance drop your score

So I am looking to refinance out of my extremely high interest rate of 12.49%.   I've gotten quotes for 5% which is a vast improvement for me.  How much should I anticipate my score to drop with basically starting a new loan?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Greenivy
New Contributor

Re: How much does a refinance drop your score

To add more context my original loan is a year old. 

Message 2 of 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

If your only installment loan is reported closed before your new loan reports, then I'd expect you'll take a small score hit ;   additionally for the refinance any new inquiries will also slightly ding your FICO score.

In this case I wouldn't worry about it, as you'll be saving a decent amount of money by refinancing and also your score should rebound not too long after the new loan reports. 

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 5
Greenivy
New Contributor

I'm only doing pre-qualification soft pulls, for this reason.  I'm only applying once for the one that gives me the best rate, thus one hard pull.

Message 4 of 5
Greenivy
New Contributor

Update: I pulled the trigger.....I was approved.  At least I will only have one hard inquiry.....instead of the 10 I've had in the past buying a new car from a dealership.

I got an alert like one minute after I submitted my application regarding the inquiry lol.

We shall see how much the drop is from the inquiry/new account.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.