Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to proceed with a new auto loan

tag
lpayton
Regular Contributor

How to proceed with a new auto loan

I purchased last year through Wells Fargo Dealer Services.

My current loan is 15 months old, no lates.  20% interest, payments $298/month.  I owe $10,158. 

My Fico scores (Mortgage lender pull) are 621, 634, and 664.  Yesterday at the dealership they pulled my credit and my TU was 590.  Are they using a different scoring model? I have a past reposession from 2008.  But my recent (last 2 years) loan/lines of credit have a perfect payment history

I really want to get out of this car (starting to act funny) and get a lower interest rate.  Will I have to wait? Pay off the old repo?  VW Credit said they wanted me to have a co-signor which is not an option.  Any ideas/suggestions would be great.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
staifokuzed
Regular Contributor

Re: How to proceed with a new auto loan

If you are in the process of buying a home I would not recommend vehicle buying. It will only bring your score down more even inquiries hurt as well. If you already closed that could be why your score is so low. If you have paid ontime with WF then I would start there. They may look past your score.
AMEX B SKY-1K AMEX PRG- NPSL USAA PLTM -6K
DISCOVER IT- 5.2K BARCLAY REWARD- 3.2K
PAYPAL REWARDS -6K VICTORIA SECRETS -1750
USAA AMEX-5.5K CITI TY PREFR 3.1K(NPSL) CHASE FREEDOM -1K
SPORTSMAN VISA- 8K AMEX ED PRFD- 8.5
Message 2 of 5
Project17
New Contributor

Yes most dealers/ lenders use a different score for auto loans called auto enhanced fico..

Just try some other dealers, you will get approved and a better rate for sure..GM has special programs as well as Toyota.

All the inquiries made for a auto loan over 30 days will only count as one so since you already have one don't worry about shopping for a auto loan since it won't affect your score any more then that one inquiry.
Message 3 of 5
lpayton
Regular Contributor

I have some commissions coming in soon with my job, so I am going to wait until I have a significant down payment.  I really really like the new Kia's, and the rebates/rates they are offering are awesome.  But to qualify for them he said you need atleast a 640..which as I stated earlier my TU Auto Enhanced Fico is only showing a 590.  Credit scoring is so insanely frustrating.  The good news is, the old repo I have, the original lender agreed if I settle with them for $2500, they will remove the repo and re-report the tradeline as closed/paid as agreed...which would probably give me a HUGE boost both for my auto purchase desire, and my credit health in general.  I may just keep my current car until I can get that straightened out.  

Thanks for the advice everyone. 

Message 4 of 5
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Hello!  I would take them up on that 2500 dollar deal Asap because  you will pay way more than that in interest for years to come with that low of an AUTO enhanced score.

What's up with the house?

love, booner

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.